Skip to main content

GPS Speedo

More
5 years 8 months ago #195423 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic GPS Speedo
That's great that you can use the output on your existing gearbox (still requires the sender of course). I think older and less sophisticated vehicles might need some tail-shaft system.

It certainly is totally positive in or out of tunnels and works instantly on start off unlike the GPS which takes about 5 seconds of movement from dead stop to sense you are rolling.

It looks like total mileage, no trip meter from what I can see in the Chinglish instruction sheet but I read it that you can zero the mileage (a salesman's delight) to create a trip record. Surely it must go back to total mileage when you have finished??? or is it Ground-hog day every trip? I will try harder to find out.

Lang

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #195432 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic GPS Speedo
Yes Lang we also went with the electronic tacho off the altanator

More
5 years 8 months ago #195433 by Lang
I also put the $80 electronic alternator tacho on my Perkins Commer. It never had a tacho (I remember fitting the mechanical kit to my Commer back in 1966) and I noticed someone on the forum recently having trouble with the Perkins mechanical drive. A $300 single-wire alternator, replacing the generator and an electronic tacho seems to me to be two of the best modifications you can do to an old Perkins Commer, International or in fact any make of vintage truck.

Lang

More
5 years 8 months ago #195455 by AaronS
Replied by AaronS on topic GPS Speedo
Lang

These magic tachos you speak of, where can I buy one? What do I look for?

The cable in the inter is shot, it ran off the fuel pump I think. An electronic one sounds great.

Thanks
Aaron

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #195457 by Lang
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationIf have a petrol motor and you only want to pay $11 you can get a digital readout from one of these.

Or a bit flasher needle readout $15 for one of these.

If you have diesel one of these off any alternator tacho post will do it.

Even top brand VDO models are cheap.

For a couple of extra dollars you can have an hour meter as well.
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Lang.

More
5 years 8 months ago #195461 by ray
Replied by ray on topic GPS Speedo
Would anyone know if the GPS ones are available in a vintage style, as in 1920's.

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #195462 by Lang
Ray

There are many different styles including several "vintage" patterns.

If you just Google "Vintage GPS Speedo" you will get dozens of images of what you want.

Lang
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Lang.

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #195464 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic GPS Speedo
Probably a bit off the main topic of GPS speedo's, but I got hold of a matching pair of VDO electronic Tacho and Speedo, late model with the KW emblem on the 90mm dial, tacho runs off the Lucas alternator signal post, speedo runs off the original speedo output at the back of the transmission. (Common 5/8" SAE threads)
Took a bit of head scratching to sort the wiring (once told how, easy-peasy, Thanks to Blackduck59-Steve), but other than a bit of fine tuning with an el-cheapo photo-tach, works just fine. If you buy new comes with instructions, as long as you know, or are shown, how to calculate the pulse counts on both gauges

RAY, if you go to one of the Yank speedo sites, (cant lay my hands on it at the moment, try Mr Google!), there's a couple of places who can supply the electronics to convert old speedo's. Even old Stewart-Warner stuff. I toyed with the idea of converting my original speedo, but ended up going for matching VDO gauges, I'm not a rivet-counter and wanted something both reliable and ease of installation. Both work fine inside a covered shed.
evmini.ca/post/41472767634/mechanical-to...eedometer-conversion .
Will give you a pretty good idea of how it's done.

As the Guys said here, just how much time do you actually spend in a tunnel or where you dont have access to a GPS transmitter?

May not be exactly what your after, but worth a squiz anyway.
Dave
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Dave_64. Reason: additional text

More
5 years 8 months ago #195468 by Lang
Dave

Good alternative if you can pick them up.

PS You must have a bloody big shed to require a speedo.

Lang

More
5 years 8 months ago #195482 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic GPS Speedo
Yeah! I can move one metre backwards or two meters forward!

Time to create page: 0.464 seconds