Skip to main content

39 inch chassis??Trucks apart from my ERF have it?

More
14 years 3 months ago #20667 by bigcam
3" Ron?, we can pull a road train over this side with 2" mate, you'll have to throw in a trailer or at least pin so he can use it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 3 months ago #20668 by Swishy

BigC
GuddayM8
U can also get 2" jaws n slide them other sukerz out
Main aim of mounting 5th wheel is to get the 5th wheel mounting feet directly over the chassis rail
but with a woffle plate like JuanTrak has got U could get one made to reach over the 39" wide chassis

ButEyeDoSt&2BCorrected

Cya

[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
14 years 3 months ago #20669 by Chocs
angles facing in.. use countersunk head, grade 8, 1/2 bolts, to attach to 5/8 plate running across
the rails. all bolted together,including turntable then slip the lot over the chassis, and bolt through the angles as normal.
if you use a fixed top, weld the feet direct to the 5/8 plate
a ballrace will spread the weight across the plate better.

The real advice would be go to an appropriate engineer, capable of issuing a modification certificate.
A VASS form here in Victoria..
He will tell you or your fabricator how it needs to be..
That way he will pass and certify it legally!!
It will cost you, but it will be easier if you plan to register the truck.
There are plenty of ol buggies running around with home made whatever...lasted for years so far...but they will break one day and the 'moo will hit the mistral'
chocs 8-)

14 years 3 months ago - 14 years 3 months ago #20670 by

3" Ron?, we can pull a road train over this side with 2" mate, you'll have to throw in a trailer or at least pin so he can use it.

Ahhh .. but we pull REAL roadtrains over here on the left coast, Cam .. not toy ones .. ;D

For $200, he might get a Tonka trailer thrown in .. ;D

More
14 years 3 months ago #20671 by Soft-Hearted-Scotsman
FYI presently no holes in top/bottom rails on the ERF, but a frame welded ontop I will grind off. That frame isn't mentioned as an option by RTA so best to avoid expensive certificates & do it the RTA way.

Yes, One track, it is a bit over 40" chassis. I measured 1020mm chassis width exactly but then when converting on calculator I divided by 25.7mm (thinking of the half inch size of 12.7mm, when I should have used 25.4mm) I measured the Holland & the really long 2.7m angles that also came with it. According to the RTA VSI 23 Specs that Mammoth put me onto, the Holland (which looks like it has has hardly any use before being taken off) complies, the angles do not. The Holland is 990mm wide, and 800mm long with has welded feet (welds comply) & drilled holes evenly spaced (the right spacing for RTA) perfect size for M16 high tensile bolts 6 per rail as per the specs) centre of holes 50mm from edge of the mounting bottom plate which is the required 12mm thick. The rails are not big enough to span the gap needed & also have 50mm overlap past the holes. Only 9mm & in NSW 10mm is the minimum with 50mm between centre of bolts and any edge.

Choc, I could make another mount plate at least 12m thick & 1120mm wide & mount new 10mm thick angles normally, but it adds extra weight & I still need new 10mm angles. So I will get angles 10mm x 150mm x 150mm and mount them inwards and use the Holland the way it is.
Good idea Bigcam to drill allowing future adjustment, so I will make angles long enough to drill extra evenly spaced holes.
Onetrack, thanks for the offer of the Jost but will decline this time.
Swishy, the chassis is so wide that it actually NARROWS to 900mm (35+ inches) between 15spd road ranger & the front bumper, so feet are never going to be over the vertical part of those rails. Feet on Holland start 105mm in from the 120mm rails. Still complies according to the RTA specs but not ideal and I want to make sure it doesn't flex so with the larger angle bolted underneath 12mm bottom plate I thick will be stiff enough.

Last question, how high off the ground are the jaws ideally to sit ready for the trailer? At rest at the moment, unladen the truck chassis is 990mm above ground.

Kind Regards

More
14 years 3 months ago #20672 by roadster
Hi Stephen,
Glad you managed to get your hands on it. One advantage of these wide chassis with the springs below the rails is that it is easier to change spring pins and bushes: you can put a jack directly between the bottom of the rail and onto the spring!
As we have a couple of inches of snow here I thought that I would go out and crawl underneath the lorries in the yard to compare chassis widths:

1972 ERF LV 3 axle 24t rigid 40"
1996 ERF EC10 tractor 31.5"
1989 Scania 93M 2 axle 17t rigid 31"
1982 Ford A series 2 axle 7.5t rigid 32"
1984 Ford cargo 2 axle 13t rigid 34"
1960 Commer QX 2 axle 10t rigid 33.5"
ERF B series (only part of chassis) 37.5"

I was not being particularly accurate with the measurements so there could be errors of maybe 0.5".

The ERF LV rails turn in below the cab as do yours as it is basically the same vehicle. My model no is 66GXB and I would think that yours is a 66CU.
The Commer rails go much wider well behind the cab to clear the TS3 engine. It took me quite a long time to find a body to suit and had to buy another (mostly) complete Commer to break for its body. That was about 20 years ago when they were not so scarce!

I think that Fodens of the same era had the same width chassis as the ERF but you are probably as unlikely to find one of them as another ERF!

I think that the chassis number is stamped on one of the rails below the cab. I have the front part of a chassis here so will examine it carefully in the daylight tomorrow.

Best of luck with the ERF.
Rod

More
14 years 3 months ago #20673 by Chocs
turntable height around 1200 - 1250mm
some euro stuff is higher
some old single drive stuff was way up.. 8-)

Guess it all hangs on whether you will be quick hitchin trailers everyday?
chocs 8-)

Time to create page: 0.466 seconds