Skip to main content

Austin Loadstar K2

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #204182 by John Geelong
Hi
I’m the brand new owner of an Austin K2 Loadstar and am wanting some advise on where to purchase parts for my truck.

Thanks in advance

John
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by John Geelong.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago #204190 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Austin Loadstar K2
Depends what state it is in as one strategy is to buy another of same model and have that on hand to provide parts as and when required. Antique Auto Parts has been recommended for the pommy stuff. The Loadstars were also sold under the Morris and BMC badge, and eventually Leyland. depends what year. Split screen or one piece?
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Geelong

More
4 years 4 months ago #204194 by John Geelong
Replied by John Geelong on topic Austin Loadstar K2
The body is pretty good so no need for panels etc. perhaps when I’m really obsessed I’ll get another one to have for those spares. It’s a split screen model.
I’m more looking for engine parts. Replacing lines, filters, tyres, oils, fuel advise, fan belts, windscreen rubbers, cables, etc. Suppliers mainly.

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Thanks for your reply

More
4 years 4 months ago #204198 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Austin Loadstar K2
Hello John,
I guess you are a new user of the forum and if so, welcome.
The K2 used the 4 litre, 6 cylinder petrol motor common to most Austin, Morris, BMC and Leyland trucks from about 1950's to 1970's so no shortage of motor parts. Some variations over years.
Lines (do you mean brake, fuel, etc.) are standard car, small truck parts.
Filters probably available at Repco or Autobarn, etc.
Fan belt at industrial belt supplier or car/truck parts place.
Fan belt and cables at Auto Surplus in Rooks Road, Nunawading, Melbourne,
Windscreen rubber at truck or bus parts supplier, Auto Surplus, Peter Jacksons Auto rubber, etc. (Google rubber parts)
Tyres from your local tyre place. You may have to shop around to find someone who can be bothered to source them. Get prices from several as price differences can be huge.
This weekend is Bendigo swap meet. Many rubber and other parts vendors there.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Geelong

More
4 years 3 months ago #204306 by John Geelong
Thanks for the info Morris....I also wanted to know what sort of fuel and fuel additive to use in the truck. I thought there might have been a specific brand and additive that is proven best to use.
Cheers john

More
4 years 3 months ago #204308 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Austin Loadstar K2
On our vintage tractors I use Flashlube as an additive to the fuel we run. As these old engines don't have special seats for the valves to seat against that is what I use.
As to what fuel stay away from E10 crap, and after that the more you pay the better you get. I run Premium in all our stuff and have done for years all with no issues.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
4 years 3 months ago #204404 by John Geelong
Thanks for the info that’s a great help. Cheers john

More
4 years 3 months ago #205006 by 14B-Beaver
Replied by 14B-Beaver on topic Austin Loadstar K2
The Austin Loadstar also known as the Series 2 was built between 1949 and 1955. After 1955 they were known as the Austin Road Chief or Series 3 till around 1960. The Loadstar in the 3 ton version had the 4 litre petrol engine or a small BMC Diesel. The 5 ton version used the 4 Litre petrol or the Perkins P6V. You may have trouble getting an Oil Filter as the petrol engine used the old ZS1 Filter. Pretty hard to get now and quite expensive.

More
4 years 3 months ago #205007 by Oilman
Replied by Oilman on topic Austin Loadstar K2

cobbadog wrote: On our vintage tractors I use Flashlube as an additive to the fuel we run. As these old engines don't have special seats for the valves to seat against that is what I use.
As to what fuel stay away from E10 crap, and after that the more you pay the better you get. I run Premium in all our stuff and have done for years all with no issues.

If you get the head done up, get hardened valve seats fitted, otherwise you need to use AVSR (anti valve seat recession) additive in ULP. Flashlube produce one as do others. No need to use premium (waste of money) as the compression ratio won't require it.

1975 Atkinson, 180HP 6LXB Gardner, RTO910, 34000lb Rockwell on camelback
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
4 years 3 months ago #205033 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Austin Loadstar K2
Thanks oilman, engine was fully rebuilt years back now but they did not change the seats so I simply run Flashlube and it doesn't cost that much.
I understand that this is a very low compression engine and Premium may be considered a waste but I run it for the cleansing properties as well and do so in every petrol engine we have from mowers to stationary engines cars and tractors.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlie chapman

Time to create page: 0.551 seconds