Skip to main content

Bedford SB Brake Drums

More
3 years 4 months ago #216533 by Slow Poke
I am chasing rear brake drums for a Bedford SB bus. I have tried the usual sources including Adrian Dawes and ACW. Neither have any available.

The bus is 1963 single speed with standard 20" wheels. ACW advised "Otherwise, if it is standard 1963 SB bus, it does cross with a particular Truck from the TK model range “KGL” and also early “EFR” up to 1972 with the 16” inside diameter measured drums that use the same brakes also."

Anyone have any info or leads on a set, prefer new or near new as these seem to be getting rarer than rocking horse stuff so I'd like to have something with a lot of meat to ensure that I am not chasing them when they are rarer 10 years down the track.

Thanks in anticipation guys

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 4 months ago #216538 by jon_d
Replied by jon_d on topic Bedford SB Brake Drums
They are non-existant. I searched far and wide 6 years ago for a set. The best I could do was a second hand RWC pair.

There is a foundry in NZ that makes them. I may be interested in getting a set if you wanted to share shipping costs.

They make all sorts of drums so a group buy of needed ones might work.

technicast.co.nz/index.php?option=com_co...ection&id=2&Itemid=9

More
3 years 4 months ago #216545 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Bedford SB Brake Drums
There's a foundry at Bendigo that makes brake drums

I realize it's not what your after but might help

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 4 months ago #216551 by mikeg
Replied by mikeg on topic Bedford SB Brake Drums
I had a set of rears drum cast about 10 or so years ago at a foundry in the Sutherland Shire near Sydney for my N Series (same as the later SBs). I can't remember their name but Cam Cast, in Kirrawee NSW would be worth an enquiry.

More
3 years 4 months ago #216552 by Slow Poke
Replied by Slow Poke on topic Bedford SB Brake Drums
Thanks a couple of questions. I know this was 10 years ago but what sort of cost and did you have to provide a sample or dimensions or were they able to get them

More
3 years 4 months ago #216558 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Bedford SB Brake Drums
Generally for one offs,you supply the old drum,and they make up for shrinkage by jiggling it in the sand to oversize the mould ...........likely you have to machine it yourself ,which is pretty easy.............Some years ago ,I went to auction at (maybe Dennis Trailers),and bought a lot of rough cast 15" low loader drums.......I didnt have a sample ,but managed to machine the drums OK ,and sold dozens on ebay without any complaints...............One thing for sure.......you wont get quality iron like the old pommy drums,foundry drums will be soft and wear very quickly,just like the cheapie semi axle spares you get for $100 each.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 4 months ago #216670 by mikeg
Replied by mikeg on topic Bedford SB Brake Drums
I gave them one of my old drums to make new ones from that and had them machined later.

More
3 years 4 months ago #216687 by olfrt
Replied by olfrt on topic Bedford SB Brake Drums
Try this place to get them refurbished. No affiliation, just used them a few times to get things repaired. They've been in business for a fair while now.
spraymetalengineering.com.au/

To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.

Time to create page: 0.483 seconds