Skip to main content

Detroit 6V53T

More
3 years 3 months ago #216728 by emoore
Detroit 6V53T was created by emoore
Hi All, where do I get the model and specifications to re-build my 6V53T to 300hp for a truck application? Using a 6v53T 250HP core motor.

Thanks for any help

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 3 months ago #216738 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Detroit 6V53T
Work shop manuals for the larger GM's, as in the 71 series had lists of parts like injectors, turbos, intercoolers etc and the timing and the like

These are the proper work shop manuals, they used to cost a few hundred at least from GM 25 years ago so would imagine its a lot lot more now

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #216740 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Detroit 6V53T
I have the full GM Marine manuals and as Paul says they are very comprehensive.

A quick glance leads me to believe they just put bigger injectors on and stuffed more fuel in. I should imagine it is not as simple as that and might need pumps and timing breathed on as well. The experts will tell us.

Lang
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Lang.

More
3 years 3 months ago #216746 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Detroit 6V53T
The GM injector includes the pump.....hence the term "unit injector"......and it is as simple as using an injector with a bigger rating(number)......a 53 will normally have a 45 or 50 size ......so if you increase that to the N65 or N70 from a 71 series engine,then there is more fuel going into the cylinders........of course 53 s are prone to cracked heads ,so caution might be advised.......I dont think you will get black smoke like a four stroke,just more heat stress on the exhaust valves.

More
3 years 3 months ago #216761 by Lang
Here is the story.

Attachments:

More
3 years 3 months ago #216763 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Detroit 6V53T
As you go up in injector size the injectors need more stroke so the timing had to be changed so injectors still fire at the correct time

300 hp out of a 6V53 is gunna have a very short life, a lot of these figures were for military use were engine life was not very important

In a truck running around bob tail they might last a lot longer

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 3 months ago #216764 by Lang
Paul

In the charts above they have "Continuous" which to my mind means they will run forever. "Intermittent" for occasional short periods and "Full Power" throttle wide with short life if sustained.

The engine is exactly the same as the truck engine but a lot more disaster potential in a boat so I think they are pretty conservative. They note no figures for the 6V53T "continuous" but from the other figures about 200hp seems a long life sustainable rating.

Lang

More
3 years 3 months ago #216767 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Detroit 6V53T
Three hundred horses out of a bird scarer! Put Barnes Auto on your speed dial.

Time to create page: 0.514 seconds