Skip to main content

INTER C1800 PRIME MOVER

More
14 years 2 months ago #21672 by gilly
Anyone with info & history on the 160 Cummins engines fitted to Inter & Dodge trucks, mid 1960. Workshop manual for this engine etc.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #21673 by atkipete
I think there were three versions a 160 standard, 175 supercharged and 180 turbo, or was it the other way around.

14 years 2 months ago #21674 by
Replied by on topic Re: INTER C1800 PRIME MOVER
The C series Cummins were a great engine.
They suffered from camshaft wear on the injector lobe
as all early Cummins did, also the lifter locating bolts used to cause problems comming loose creating tappet
guide problems. But generaly they were a good engine. They came in the AB inter a few Dodges
i seen one in a Inter DCO of mayne nicks.There were a lot of varients

The C CF J JNF the later were industrial engines
with quite different specs
The were in R190's so the must have been around early 60's......Mark

More
14 years 2 months ago #21675 by gilly
Replied by gilly on topic Re: INTER C1800 PRIME MOVER
Thanks for the replies on this engine.

14 years 2 months ago #21676 by
If you have a C 160 Cummins you better look after it as parts are non existant and have been for over 20 years even longer. I do have the complete W/S manual and parts books if you are looking for specs....Mark

14 years 2 months ago #21677 by
The C series Cummins was released around 1960. The C-160 was NA, the C-175 was turbocharged, and the C-180 was supercharged. The engine is 4 7/16" bore and 5" stroke for 464 cu in.
They all ran at 2500 full load RPM, and the maximum torque came in at 1400 RPM for the C-160, 1750 RPM for the C-175, and 1700 RPM for the C-180. Interestingly, Cummins speak of a C-140 turbocharged version elsewhere in the booklet I have .. but it's not listed in the specs.
The booklet doesn't recommend the C series engine for tandem drive trucks, only single drive .. but allows for two axle trailer hauling behind a single drive C-series powered truck.
In the specs, the C-series is listed as a "lightweight" engine (i.e. .. light-to-medium-duty trucking). Over 65,000lbs gross (29500kg approx), Cummins recommended using the NH and NT series engines (743 & 855 cu in).
All the Cummins engines in 1960, shared the same features .. PT fuel system, OHV, keystone compression rings, cam ground pistons, replaceable wet liners, and fully counterweighted crankshafts in engines that did more than 2000 RPM.
I'd scan some of the info from this booklet, but my scanner program has developed a glitch, and I can't use the scanner. I need to find the CD to reload the program, I think. I'll scan some of the relevant pages when I get the scanner up and running again.

More
14 years 2 months ago #21678 by gilly
Replied by gilly on topic Re: INTER C1800 PRIME MOVER
Thanks for the info. It appears a recent purchase of an engine has one dead pot, previous owner advised an injector sleeve was leaking, so possibly will have to remove head, so torque settings etc I will have to research. I have been able to purchase injector sleeves, the journey begins!!.

Time to create page: 0.451 seconds