Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Steel rivets 30 Apr 2021 09:18 #221085

• JOHN.K.
  • Thank you received: 1126
To keep the shape,you need snaps with the right dome .....if you just use a hammer ,the head will end up flat,even though it was rounded.
The following user(s) said Thank You: blastermike

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Steel rivets 30 Apr 2021 21:40 #221135

• cobbadog
  • Thank you received: 1621
I read a while ago about a group of blokes restoring an old boiler, not an old woman either, and they had a system in place where the hole was checked, a hot rivet was placed into the hole and they had a pneumatic hammer and a dolly shaped to keep the rivet shaped as original. Not sure if they made those attachments or they were hired but it made short work of a hard job and they look exactly right.
Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Steel rivets 01 May 2021 10:35 #221145

• JOHN.K.
Id be surprised if you could hire rivetting gear........the air hammers were once quite common......a rivet hammer has a longer stroke and lower blow rate that a common pneumatic hammer ,and generally the piston can come out of the hammer ......so old ones are commonly missing the piston......its just a cylinder of steel ,so isnt hard to make one......the piston was a replaceable part .........I have/had some of the shaped snaps around somewhere.......but with the property sale and scrapout,they may be gone.....................Ive actually worked out a system.......I put useful stuff aside from one bin,next bin there is more useful stuff,so the the first lot goes in,and so on.........

Steel rivets 05 May 2021 09:36 #221296

• mammoth
  • Thank you received: 533
Mike, there are a fair number of heritage steam operators in NZ and one of them would be my first call.
Bloke here actually makes his own rivets (better than mild grade steel);- to form the heads a piece of bar is heated to orange by running high current from an old genny and then dropped into a holder for forming the head. Rivets are inserted in the boiler hot and closed with hydraulic squeeze if there is room, otherwise with pneumatic hammer and backup dolly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, blastermike

Steel rivets 05 May 2021 11:24 #221301

• blastermike
  • Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 63
Thanks steven, i had thought of the steam clubs but then thought everything they would have would be too big? but wont hurt to ask
Cheers

Steel rivets 05 May 2021 11:38 #221303

• JOHN.K.
If you are going to hot rivet,the simplest way to get rivets is to make them from ordinary bolts..just cut the thread off,and form the head round if it will be seen,.......if you need rivets for a diff rebuild ,then you can use Gr 5 bolts ,cold pressed.......All the bolts you buy today are entirely cold formed ,head and thread,but Gr 5 and 8 will also be heat treated................boiler rivets should be iron ,not steel ,as the higher carbon steel will corrode too quickly.

Last edit: by JOHN.K..

Steel rivets 05 May 2021 11:49 #221304

• Lang
  • Thank you received: 6943
Might look crude but not a bad job. You could copy this pretty easily. The precision and fit of the stiffener onto the old chassis is absolutely amazing, all by eye and hand tools!

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, blastermike

Last edit: by Lang.

Steel rivets 05 May 2021 16:50 #221309

• blastermike
  • Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 63
Thanks Lang, ive spoken to a few others and hopefully someone will come up with some if not i will get them made, the chassis’s i want to repair are of early american usa trucks and i need around 80 to 100 rivets to be the on the safe side, i want to try to keep the apperance of them correct and it will be a learning experience im looking forward to as well, ive attached some pics of the chassis, most of the crossmembers had to be removed for repairs as well as the cast spring hanger mounts and a few other cast brkts,
Cheers mike

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, PaulFH, Southbound

Last edit: by Sarge :-X.

Steel rivets 05 May 2021 17:21 #221311

• Lang
  • Thank you received: 6943
This is going to be an awesome vehicle.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, blastermike

Steel rivets 05 May 2021 22:04 #221314

• cobbadog
  • Thank you received: 1621
We all look forward to seeing progress on this one too. It is great that you are starting off with a positive attitude and I feel certain that will continue all the way through. Good luck finding the rivets and a gun to fit them with.
Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Time to create page: 0.768 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558