Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Ford Cargo Headlights 07 Sep 2021 11:48 #225504

• Rob W
  • Thank you received: 16
Valiant VG & VH types were reasonably common same as Gemini, Toyota Hi-Lux mid 80s.
Dodge AT4-7D Series Model 775, 1971 VH Valiant Ute,
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ken

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Ford Cargo Headlights 07 Sep 2021 13:59 #225508

• prodrive
  • Thank you received: 274
There was a fair bit of "square headlightness" going around back then.
From my dodgy memory-The VH Valo types were common with LH Torana, but not much else.
The larger Gemini's (TD) were hard to get and expensive, then the TE gemini's had what we used to call 2BX, either sealed or halogen. These were interchangable with lots of cars of the era, as Rob says, sort of a generic style of headlight.
Then there was also the "small square" in twin such as Stanza, 200B',s GH Sigma's and lots of things like that. A lot of Isuzu trucks had them too.
And thats before you started on XD, then XE Falcons and so on...
There was a massive trade in non-genuine parts back then, we used to sell a million Ford door handles for example, all those import parts became so cheap it was incredible, compared to a few years earlier. A lot of them were rubbish, badly aimed headlights and so on, but certainly not all. Some of the parts I reckon were made in the same factory as the genuines! In some ways I reckon the car manufacturers were to blame for this massive influx of parts- for example lots of the secondhand genuine headlights were over $100/$150, and really hard to find. So you could buy a new non gen part often for cheaper than a secondhand genuine.
I reckon the Cargo has TE Cortina headlights though. Think they may have also been in Transit's but don't hold me to it!
There a bit of mild headlight trivia for your Tuesday..
Cheers!
Rich

Ford Cargo Headlights 07 Sep 2021 15:17 #225510

• 600Dodge
  • Thank you received: 126
So are the TF cortina lights the same as 1980 F100 lights?

Ford Cargo Headlights 07 Sep 2021 16:36 #225513

• cobbadog
  • Thank you received: 975
The rectangular lights in the LH Torana were a sealed beam or at least they were in my SLR V8. The rectangular lights in Lorry were H4 and had to be replaced due to the reflectors going rusty. Local Auto ELectrician was able to supply me full LED replacement lights for less than replacement H4 lights and the LED are 100 times better to drive by.
Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe.
STUBBOURN B@ST@RD

Ford Cargo Headlights 07 Sep 2021 19:29 #225517

• JOHN.K.
  • Thank you received: 752
Ford door handles ......guy at Repco ....yeah ,these are cheap rubbish.......but they last twice as long as genuine Ford.

Ford Cargo Headlights 08 Sep 2021 07:42 #225529

• mammoth
  • Thank you received: 273
The Cargo was a British build so I would expect parts would with other British Fords such as the Cortina. At the time Ford Europe had their own retail parts division. Accordingly I wouldn't be looking at General Motors products for a match, especially ones that had a big Aussie input.

Ford Cargo Headlights 08 Sep 2021 10:20 #225533

• Gryphon
  • Thank you received: 416
Hi,

maybe if the OP can put up a picture of the passenger side headlight that he has to match then it might make it easier than guessing what lights were on his particular truck.

Terry
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Ken

Ford Cargo Headlights 08 Sep 2021 16:24 #225541

• Mrsmackpaul
  • Thank you received: 1339
Cargo headlights were on a slight angle to match the contour of the front of the cab I thought

So that sort of rules a lot of thinngs out

A fella on the Mack truck forum mounted LED lights in his Mack CH headlights for a fraction of the price, perhaps a option here

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Ford Cargo Headlights 11 Sep 2021 10:06 #225687

• Ken
  • Ken's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for all the feedback!
I will explore the Cortina option and keep you posted.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.262 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Phone: 0400 025 525    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558