Skip to main content

1940's Bicycle wanted

More
1 year 9 months ago #236777 by 180wannabe
Replied by 180wannabe on topic 1940's Bicycle wanted
I went ultra modern and fitted an on/off headlight switch, as well as an "on" indicator lamp on the handle bars. Also had plug in trailer tail light. By the time i had lit the head lamp, tail lamp, "on" indicator lamp, and trailer tail light i got puffed out pedaling against the dynamo! I think i ended up switching the bike tail light off independently when i had the trailer hooked on.

Oh and steel posts here are "star droppers", and "iron droppers" for the flat ones.

Brett.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 9 months ago #236782 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic 1940's Bicycle wanted
Re the "star pickets", even heard them called "Waratahs" after a manufacturer.
Could be a locality thing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, roKWiz

More
1 year 9 months ago #236787 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic 1940's Bicycle wanted
My first bike light was an acetylene burner, powered by placing carbide rock in the holder and having water dripped on it to produce the gas. Carbide rock was plentiful in banana country.. And no, I didn't buy it new. The next one I had was one of the style that took one of those double side by side "C" cell batteries. I thought I was the flashest kid in town.

A couple of years ago, I tried to buy one of the gas type at an auction, but bailed out when it got to $350 ,00.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #236816 by roKWiz
Replied by roKWiz on topic 1940's Bicycle wanted

Re the "star pickets", even heard them called "Waratahs" after a manufacturer.
Could be a locality thing.

Mate who did work for Varley Fire trucks and Commonwealth engineering then went on to redesign the star picket made in Waratah, Newcastle. hence.

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by roKWiz.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.414 seconds