Skip to main content

Leyland 5 60 N

More
14 years 1 month ago #25263 by Paul B
Leyland 5 60 N was created by Paul B
I recently aquired a 1976 Leyland 5 60 N tipper and hope someone can give me info on this model. Googled it but didn't come up with much help apart from HCVC.
What are the specifications? Where can I get manual on the 560N and any other useful info would be appreciated

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #25264 by
Replied by on topic Re: Leyland 5 60 N
Paul - There's not a lot of Leyland 5.60N's about, so you're starting behind the 8-ball. The truck had a chequered history, with development in the era where British manufacturing industry was nationalised, merged, and generally screwed around with. The ancestry of the truck is Austin/Morris, of course .. then BMC .. then Leyland. The nomenclature is peculiarly Australian, the Poms called them WF models, or "Woofers".

When doing a search, use various terms to widen your range of searching, and always check out at least 5 pages of each search.

Useful search terms are ..

Austin WF
BMC WF
Leyland 5.60N
Leyland 560N
Leyland 5 60N
Leyland 5 ton truck

The important things with searches, is to understand that the correct Leyland nomenclature is 5.60N (or 5-60N) .. but many people just write it as 560N or 5 60N. Each term needs a different search to find.

eBay is your friend when it comes to finding manuals and brochures. What is amazing to me, is how eBay sellers in places such as Pommyland, or the U.S., will produce an Australian production brochure or manual!

Here's one that will help you a little .. cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMC-Austin-Normal-Control...0QQitemZ320492960319

A site dedicated to the Austin/Morris/BMC/Leyland trucks .. www.aronline.co.uk/index.htm?lcvtrucksf.htm

More
14 years 1 month ago #25265 by kennymopar2
Replied by kennymopar2 on topic Re: Leyland 5 60 N
i remember back in 73 my old man bought a 2ndhand 560N .. im sure it had a petrol 6 cyl in it

More
14 years 1 month ago #25266 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: Leyland 5 60 N
The N stands for 'normal' control whereas the same truck could be had in cab over form which had F for forward control. The numbers are about load capacity.To confuse matters all the models had the numbers changed around 1962 when they went from payload(in hundredweights) capacity to GVM . The only Leyland component was the badge.
The BMC range range for a very long time and the definitive story can be read in Vintage Commercial Vehicle Vol 10, No 64, & 65

More
14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #25267 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Re: Leyland 5 60 N
I have a 1969 4.60N/4.80N,5.60N/5.80N brochure sitting right here on my lap what exactly do you need to know ???

on further examination it's the red covered one in the link above

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same
Last edit: 14 years 1 month ago by werkhorse.

More
14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #25268 by Soft-Hearted-Scotsman
Hi Paul, Onetrack is right about it being rare. Telecom used your truck type & they shouldn't be rare, but when I looked for parts, they are. Unloved I suppose. Plenty of early 1950s austin trucks, but your shape is rare now. Mine is a 1 piece windscreen, split screen is rarer. I own an Austin 4.60N, but the parts manual I use is the leyland 4.60N & 5.60N manual. Basically the same as yours, the lighter trucks used by the bush fire brigades out here in NSW were 3.38N but these had lighter tie rod end & lighter suspension in some parts, had the smaller 6cyl engine, and 16 inch wheels, not the 8 stud wheels like ours (normally 8.25x20 tyres). Your 5.60N means a 5 tonne load, 60 inch wheel base, and Mammoth is spot on as usual as N stands for 'normal' control.
Most commonly, yours will have a 4 litre A125 petrol 6 (as used in the earlier Austin Sheerline car) or a 5.1 ltre diesel 6. I have operation manuals for both these engines. My 4.60N is petrol & 4 spd & 2 speed Eaton2 diff.
Depending on what you need, I have spare engine bits & ancilliaries for the Petrol 6 & access to spare 4 spd gearboxes, and repairable guards/bonnet,front grille on the yellow wrecks pictured below. You are in WA but if you pay postage & photocopying, I can post manuals. I also found some sources of new parts like hub seals, brake piston rubbers, and my king pins.
PM me or let us know what state it is in. I am stripping 2 like this that are rusty & been in floods. My truck below (carnation Rad colour) yellow ones are the donars, but please post pics of yours. My axle is out at present for the new king pins. Regards & best of luck.

Kind Regards
Last edit: 14 years 1 month ago by Soft-Hearted-Scotsman.

More
14 years 1 month ago #25269 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Re: Leyland 5 60 N
this do ya ???

the back page from the red covered brochure

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
4 years 10 months ago #200780 by nttrophytruck
Replied by nttrophytruck on topic Re: Leyland 5 60 N
Mate do you still have these around

More
4 years 10 months ago #200782 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Re: Leyland 5 60 N
The brisbane City Council had a lot of these...........Wanless had about 20 at one time wrecking them......I bought a 4 speed gearbox from one,it was brand new......stories of the council trucks never being driven over 10 mph were true.......there was also a 2 speed Austin diff,that swapped with the single speed......it was carried on into the Leyland trucks as the Maudslay diff,and fitted interchangeably with the Eaton....much to the confusion of spare parts people........

More
4 years 10 months ago #200783 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: Leyland 5 60 N

nttrophytruck wrote: Mate do you still have these around

You do realise that you've dredged up a Thread from 9 Years ago..???

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Time to create page: 0.576 seconds