Skip to main content

Fire Extinguishers

More
13 years 8 months ago #32929 by HeyCharger
Hi Guys.
On my way to Dubbo, I had a "minor incident" that had me thinking, "gee, I wish I'd bought a fire extinguisher last week". :(
Question is, what do you guys carry, dry powder or CO2?
There was a guy on ebay selling lots a few years ago. Must see if he's still around.
PS Had a great time in Dubbo. Thanks to all involved.
Rod.

Proud owner of;
1948 Massey Harris 44K.
1946 Ford Semi-Trailer Bus.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago #32930 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Fire Extinguishers
I've got dry powder in all mine, the biggest one that will fit beside the drivers seat, and a battery isolator on all of them as well. 3 or 4 years ago we went to Allora, a mate of mine had a Dodge D3F, 318 on gas, with his Loadstar on the back, the oil pipe to the gauge broke and started a fire just out of Aratula, no fire extingusher. It wasn't a big fire to start with, and all he could do was try and throw dirt on it. It got bigger, and he was looking at the gas tanks, which in the panic hadn't been turned off, and luckily the local firies turned up and put it out in a minute. I bought a fire extinguisher for every one of my vehicles straight after that.

13 years 8 months ago #32931 by
Replied by on topic Re: Fire Extinguishers
I agree a dry powder in all of my trucks to and also in the shed at home, had a fuel leak on my son's car about 6 months ago that ignited and if i hadn't have had the extinguisher might have lost the lot.

They are a bloody good & cheap insurance policy.

Trevor

More
13 years 8 months ago #32932 by ianoz
Replied by ianoz on topic Re: Fire Extinguishers
I was heading up the boyne valley to dig a swimming pool when the dry powder extinguisher decided to discharge . With it like a snowstorm inside the cab had to try and steer ,feel for the release out of the bracket ,then hold it out the window till it emptyed itself . Great fun . Ian .

13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #32933 by
Replied by on topic Re: Fire Extinguishers
Dry powder is the way to go. A small one carried in your vehicle will work wonders on a vehicle fire before they get too big. If the fire is big when you find it, nothing will help you. Better to stop quickly and find the source of burning smells before you lose the lot.
The worst part about carrying an extinguisher, it generally means you end up using it on some strangers vehicle fire, and no-one ever offers to replace it .. :(

I can't count the number of trucks I've seen burnt to a crisp, because a flat tyre or collapsed wheel bearing wasn't noticed, and it was well underway when the driver stopped, and it set the rig alight.

I've got a 120 litre dry powder extinguisher on a trolley for the workshop. Workshop fires start so easily, one spark from an angle grinder or welder, and it will be sure to land on a rag or something flammable. I had a small open wash tin of kerosene once, 20 metres away up the end of the shop, and I was angle grinding in the far doorway. Next thing, I look up, and the wash tin is ablaze!!
Another time, I was in the shop, and a 3 pin plug in an extension cord to the pedestal drill exploded in a shower of arcing and sparking. It was hanging down the side of the wall and had been moving slightly in the wind, just enough to break a wire internally and arc up.
It was amazing to watch, it just arced and arced, and lit up the PVC plug like an oxy torch had been turned on it.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
13 years 8 months ago #32934 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Fire Extinguishers

My 2 cents worth
When the extingwisher is exhausted ...... not working......MT
I find a warm bootle of Coke a Cola
shaken then lid released
will foam up everything includin u're self
= better than nothing
LOL
Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
13 years 8 months ago #32935 by Old AB
Replied by Old AB on topic Re: Fire Extinguishers
Done that Swishy.. Front wheel bearing collapsed on our old Road Boss. When i pulled up she burst into flame. All i had was my lunch bag with a bottle of coke, Shook him up and sprayed it in the axle cap, fire slowed down enough so i could fill the bottle with water from the tank on the trailer and finish the job.. Later found there was a fire extinguisher on the trailer.. But i did panic a little at the time,, :D :D

Keep old inters alive.

More
13 years 8 months ago #32936 by bigcam
Nothing like a bit of Panic to stop you thinking logically. We have a "Toolbox" work place health and safety meeting once a month. All the previous months F ups etc are brought up, dangerous incedents etc. Most of them take no interest and have a look of wonder on thier face when I spew a day after a meeting about something that was brought up. Anyway, keeping the workplace tidy is brought up every time, and every time most of them couldn't care. One of them was wheeling a 11R22.5 on a rim between a couple of trucks, hit something on the floor and the tyre went base over apex and hits the floor..... luckily cushioned by flattening a spray can of paint.....which burst the end out of it........and then the contents where ignited by a welding spark......which resulted in a small explosion. No real damage, the paint all burnt so it didn't leave a mark on the floor/tyre, no hairs left on one pair of legs, and plenty of panic. A week later, areosol cans still on the floor.

More
13 years 8 months ago #32937 by bigcam
Hey Tony, you've mastered the picture thing. Number 1.Any pics of the Road Boss?

More
13 years 8 months ago #32938 by Old AB
Replied by Old AB on topic Re: Fire Extinguishers
Still finding my old stash of them Cam.. The war office has to scan them all for me. Will tell her you said to hurry up. ;D ;D ;D

Keep old inters alive.

Time to create page: 0.556 seconds