Skip to main content

Acoustic material

More
15 years 7 months ago #4733 by Bono
Acoustic material was created by Bono
Hi Guys,

I don't know if this would suit restor applications, but i may have come accross some quantities of sound barrier . Im not sure if i want to take it on but if anyone has a need for this sort of stuff, please feel free to contact. I think material is the same that goes into KW's

Cheers Bono.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 years 7 months ago #4734 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: Acoustic material
bono is this stuff solid enough or protected enough to be exposed to the inside of an engine cover (air, moisture fuel dirt and fan back wash, high temps etc)

I am going through the recycle yard at the tip for suitable material to shut the *&^% up in my Butterbox. I want it down to a level where I can hear AC/DC or Led Zepplin while I am driving.

I have some heavy foil/alum sheet with rockwool or similar glued to it so the foil will shield the wool. But something the consistency of carpet would be the go for the internal engine cover etc... then all I need is a good high temp glue.

The stuff at Clark Rubber was two arms and baby per metre and only 3/8th thick..... or otherwise needed to go inside a (speaker) box.

:-X sarge

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
15 years 7 months ago #4735 by Bono
Replied by Bono on topic Re: Acoustic material
Hi Sarge,

Thats why i got the stuff, the nuess is bloody noisy. Radio at the moment is just not an option.

The material is aroun12mm-15mm thick. One side is lead vinyl in appearance, the core is felt,the other end finished with a thin cover to allow for adhesion, that way it's not adhering directly on to the felt. It is robust to handle fuel dirt etc.I dont think the temperature is too much of an issue, my only concern would be the weight of the material hanging horizontally on the inside cover. Glueing should be sufficient, but it would be my only concern. I'd be happy to send you a sample if you like.

Otherwise, we have a superwool blanket material for high temperature insulation which you could use instead of rockwool at about 13mm thick. Rating is 1100 c. Has acoustic properties but not as good as the vinyl.

Let me know how much you would need of either. S/wool is no problem, but let me know how much vinyl. If i have enough spare after i line my cab its all yours.

I'd be interested in your feedback to see if it be viable getting more.

Cheers Bono.

More
15 years 7 months ago #4736 by Andy Wright
Replied by Andy Wright on topic Re: Acoustic material
Bono, are you able to post pics of the material?

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

More
15 years 7 months ago #4737 by Bono
Sure thing Andy,

I'll organise it

Chees bono

More
15 years 7 months ago - 15 years 7 months ago #4738 by Bono

Hope these help.....
Last edit: 15 years 7 months ago by Bono.

More
15 years 7 months ago #4739 by Andy Wright
Replied by Andy Wright on topic Re: Acoustic material
Thanks mate.

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

15 years 7 months ago #4740 by
Replied by on topic Re: Acoustic material
Hi Bono whats it worth a metre and is it easy to cut. Dave

More
15 years 7 months ago #4741 by Bono
Hi Deadly,

Material cuts well with a stanley knife, but you do need to excercise care. I'll have a better idea once the cab is relined. Material is 1.3 mtre wide and usually will retail about 75 plus tax a lineal metre. I would hope to have at about half that rate depending how much i can get my

hands on and if i could offload it.

Cheers bono

More
15 years 6 months ago #4742 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: Acoustic material
Bono, from the pics I am assuming that it would be intended as a lining on the inside of the cabin with the vinyl as your finished product??

On that basis I assume it has the similar working and use properties etc to ordinary vinyl, except it is well padded.

I have been warned that most of the glues that are readily available do not tolerate high temperature, either softening and letting go or vapourising with associated fire risk and breaking down.

From what I have seen with others or experienced the various glues seems to have a fairly short life span and something seems to let go.

On that vein, I was advised to use silastic to attach a new ruber seal to the engine cover rather than glue, as it has good holding power, but it also fills the gaps between the rubber and the curves in the cover... so far so good.

I am not so sure about your product, I want to line between the engine and the body work, I will make a false double skin under the floor too, then I will carpet the inside of the cab. At least thats plan number 412zK as of just now.

::) sarge

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

Time to create page: 0.531 seconds