Skip to main content

Metal stitching

More
12 years 5 months ago #63879 by mammoth
Metal stitching was created by mammoth
Does anyone know a firm that either does metal stitching to repair cracked cylinder water jackets or supplies consumables for me to do the repairs.
Epoxy is garanteed only up to 60 degrees c on the wet side and weld or brazing is likely to make things worse, especially as wastage on the inside has made the wall thin in places.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
12 years 5 months ago #63880 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Metal stitching

Mammoth
Gudday M8

Down sth here eye'd imagine th@

Head Mod Nominees Pty. Ltd.
5 MONTEREY RD
DANDENONG
Victoria 3175 Australia.
Ph: +61.3 9797 1111

may do it .......... or steer U in the right direction

ifn U into glu n stuff
try the best
JBWeld ........Yanky stuff available @ selected outlets

Cya
[ch9786]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
12 years 5 months ago #63881 by
Replied by on topic Re: Metal stitching
Most engine reconditioners will be able to do that repair for you. They would probably also supply just the plugs if you wanted to do it yourself but I doubt many would lend you the tapered taps (you would need to buy your own)

If you want to do it yourself, Ayross trading sell the plugs, tapered taps etc.

www.ayross.com.au/engine-rebuilding.html

If you have never done this type of repair before, and your item is somewhat hard to replace then I recommend that you get someone experienced to do the repair (as once a stitch repair has been attempted and it fails then it's usually not easy to fix). We always used to pressure test the repair on a proper pressure tester that circulated pressurised coolant at engine operating temperature.

-Stu

[ch729][ch647]sod [ch654][ch623] s[ch305] [ch477]u[ch305][ch1503] s[ch305][ch613][ch647] [ch653]o[ch

12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #63882 by
Mammoth, what's wrong with boring the block out and inserting a sleeve? If the water jacket is thin in numerous other places, won't it soon corrode through in those other places as well??

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #63883 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: Metal stitching
the cracks are from frost on the outside and fortunately the bores and pistons are pretty good. I have asked around engine reconditioners but the usual response in this throw away age is that "all the old fellas have died". I have a rough estimate from a mob in Sydney who can also cast pieces of iron to stitch in; $2.000 to $3,000. Obviously experts but phew, that price hurts.
I will follow up the Ayross lead. I am also onto www.lockinstitch.com in the States whose products look more specific to the task. They make it look easy on Utube anyway.
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by mammoth.

12 years 5 months ago #63884 by
Mammoth, I'll stand by my Magna cast iron rods to fix any busted cast iron, for about 1% of the cost of any other method of fixing.

More
12 years 5 months ago #63885 by wouldyou
Replied by wouldyou on topic Re: Metal stitching
Is Magna still available? Ours is all gone, have yet to find as good elsewhere. I thought the main man disappeared in South America years ago. David.

12 years 5 months ago #63886 by
David - Magna electrodes are still available, they never have any storefront, they use travelling commission agents to sell their products. There's still a Magna commission agent in Perth.
You just need to see the bank manager about an overdraft, before you buy a packet .. ;)

www.whitepages.com.au/business/magna-wel...Magna+Welding+Alloys

Magna Welding Alloys .. www.magnagroup.com/products/magna/

Magna 770 cast iron welding electrode .. www.magnagroup.com/products/magna/pdf/literature/dis_770.pdf

More
12 years 5 months ago #63887 by wouldyou
Replied by wouldyou on topic Re: Metal stitching
Ron, Thanks for that info. Regards David.

More
12 years 5 months ago #63888 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: Metal stitching
Some pics of the two cylinder blocks. Interstater might be helping me on this one.

Thye worst crack

big hole above inlet port

chalk indicates extent of hairline on this one

Time to create page: 0.559 seconds