Skip to main content

Metal stitching

12 years 4 months ago #63899 by
Replied by on topic Re: Metal stitching
O.K., I got a call yesterday to come and pick up a 94kg crate delivered from the East. It looks like someone has crated up the Crown Jewels!
I gotta go fire up the battery charger for the screwdriver, it looks like I've got an hours work uncrating this valuable cargo!
Thanks to Northline Freight for their delivery without hassles or damage. Their depot crew are organised, cheery, and helpful, even on a madhouse Friday afternoon.

www.northlinefreight.com.au/index.php?id=13

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
12 years 4 months ago #63900 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Metal stitching
Oh goody

L@@ks like we gunna get a lesson in wot to do
or wot not to do

N dont 4get to do wotcha always preach 2 us
Preperation Preperation Preperation Preperation Preperation Preperation

Hope U went cap in hand to C u're bank manager
about the aquisition of sum new Magna Alloy Rods

LOL

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
12 years 4 months ago #63901 by wgipps
Replied by wgipps on topic Re: Metal stitching
94kg packaged like that.....make sure Mrs Mammoth hasnt sent you Mr Mammoth!!

"If I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a little?&qu

12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #63902 by
Wgipps - Nope, no Mammoth in the box. Just a couple of tight-fitting, humongous cylinders.
I gotta say, I'm impressed with the size of these. Won't need any jewellers equipment for working on this lot.
The bore is 4.5", the stroke must be 6.5" or 7", and those valves are bigger than a 500 HP EM-9 Mack V8!

12 years 4 months ago #63903 by
Swishy, there's going to be a lot of preparation, and more work here than I envisaged. Typical of repairs, though, isn't it?
The cracks are pretty bad .. but the corrosion in the coolant passageways is horrendous. They must have been using sea water for coolant!

I'm going to have to do some more rust treatment to remove a lot more of the scale. These Magna rods are good, but they don't like scale any more than any other rod!
Mammoth has done some good work with his citric bath, but there's still substantial amounts of scale that has to be cleaned up.

I think it will need a dose of hydrochloric acid to really hammer the scale. One can't fully dip a casting like this in hydrochloric, it's too harsh, and it will damage machined surfaces and the bores.
I'll block off the coolant ports, stand the cylinders vertical, and fill the coolant passageways with a 3-4% solution of hydrochloric acid, so that it's only in contact with the internal coolant passageways.

The castings are quite well made, I'm impressed with them, for the era in which they were cast.
It's interesting to see the join lines between the three separate parts of the mold pattern that went into making the one casting.

I won't be able to get into this repair properly until the end of next week. I've got a current project to finish first, a paint job and some minor repairs on a mates forklift.
I'll keep up the pics on a stage-by-stage basis.

More
12 years 4 months ago #63904 by wgipps
thats is some serious cracks. im barracking for you to have a win onetrack! standing ovation on successful completion.

"If I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a little?&qu

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
12 years 4 months ago #63905 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Metal stitching

Gipps
Gudday M8

RE: standing ovation on successful completion

If not

Juan hung lo

LOL

Cya

[ch9786]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
12 years 4 months ago #63906 by wgipps
Found this thread on another forum - a bit of an nteresting read.
www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/249588.html?1322499305

More
12 years 2 months ago #63907 by wgipps
hi all
is this thread still alive - where's the project at?

12 years 2 months ago #63908 by
wgipps - Yes, it's still alive. I've been tied up with other projects and hope to have a progress report shortly. There's been a lot of examination, and "thinking & planning", about the approach and processes used in the repair.
The last thing I want, with components this old, is to have a FU .. :'(

Also, I've not had a good run physically for the last month, I damaged a couple of fingers badly before Christmas, with a 100mm grinder that kicked out of my grasp .. and this week, I've torn some back tendons, and I'm hobbling around, waiting for them to heal up .. :'(
I didn't realise there was such a gathering of anticipation in this job, that needed immediate slaking with daily or weekly reports! :D

Time to create page: 0.575 seconds