Skip to main content

Metal stitching

More
12 years 1 month ago #63939 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Metal stitching
Looks good Ron, it's like having a chemestry lesson. Thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #63940 by
Replied by on topic Re: Metal stitching

the bit eye'm not rapt in
is u're yello jumper wire
Looks like sumthing eye'd do on a saturday night
LOL
me thinkz a heavier cable sandwiched between a cupla washers n nuts, az in lok nuts

Yep, the connection does look a bit feral, and if ya wanna get really professional, sandwiching the wire between a couple of nuts, will definitely give you a foolproof and perfect connection.
I was more interested in getting the show up and running here, and the time gets away when you have to hunt down all these little bits/n/pieces. The connection is working, that's all that matters.

I cleaned the threads up so bright metal showed where the wire was twitched on .. and 10 amps current will soon make a connection, when the power is switched on.
You can see within a short time if the current is flowing properly, as bubbles are produced fairly evenly from the item being cleaned. If the bubbling isn't even, the current flow isn't even.

If you want more info on washing soda electrolysis, Google "using washing soda for electrolysis", and there's quite a number of sites giving opinions and descriptions of the process.
The most comprehensive website I've found, is the following site, which gives a good description of the electrolysis process, and how the two types of rust are removed or converted.

The only point of disagreement I have with this website is the strength of solution used. He advocates a 10% solution, but you most definitely do NOT need a 10% solution strength.
About .5% to 1% solution is more than adequate for all situations.

"Rust Removal Using Electrolysis", by Andrew Westcott .. myweb.tiscali.co.uk/andyspatch/rust.htm

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
12 years 1 month ago #63941 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Metal stitching

W H O O P Z

Guess we cookd it tooo long

spose it could B shippd back to the east in lotsa MT cans now

LOL

Sorry to frightrern the BeJezuz outa U Mammoth

Orllz well th@ endz well

Cya
[ch9786]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #63942 by
Nothing to fear at this stage. After about 13 or 14 hrs in the electrolysis bath, the cylinders are out and being pressure-washed again.

You can't destroy items by "cooking" for too long .. but you can destroy them by incorrect polarity.

At this stage, I have no more pics .. it got too late last night to get any more.
We still have a area of concern, with some chunks of residual heavy scale.

I've been examining the coolant passageways carefully for residual scale areas .. and doing some chiselling with a long screwdriver (thank God for Chinese mild-steel screwdrivers, that you can bend in all kinds of shapes, to fit the hole! :D ) .. and I may have to give the cylinders another shock treatment with some more hydrochloric acid to get the residual scale.

These cylinders are an absolute nightmare, for the most scale, in the thickest layers, that I've ever seen in any engine.

Scale doesn't only interfere with welding, it's an insulator of heat transfer. Caterpillar state that 3mm of scale thickness (on cylinder walls) will reduce heat transfer by up to 40%.

12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #63943 by
good work onetrack...and thanks for this fascinating journey :) :)

More
11 years 7 months ago #63944 by Bruce99
Replied by Bruce99 on topic Re: Metal stitching
Love to hear the outcome of this?
I suppose we can only guess?

***********&&---Bruce99---&&***********

More
11 years 7 months ago #63945 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: Metal stitching
Patience (and lots of it) required for the old arts. All will be revealed in due course.

More
11 years 2 months ago #63946 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Metal stitching

Mammoth, if you want to freight me the head with the hole in it, I'll fix it for you good and proper, with some of my magic Magna 770 rods, and it will probably take me no more than an hour.

Cheers - Ron.

Been a long hour, LOL.
Mammoth, have you got an update?

11 years 2 months ago #63947 by
In restoration time this one is still a baby its only been 14 months since the journey started.

Trevor

More
11 years 2 months ago #63948 by Bugly
Replied by Bugly on topic Re: Metal stitching

Mammoth, if you want to freight me the head with the hole in it, I'll fix it for you good and proper, with some of my magic Magna 770 rods, and it will probably take me no more than an hour.
Cheers - Ron.

Been a long hour, LOL.
Mammoth, have you got an update?

Mammoth ... if I can ask a punny question: "What state is it in?"

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

Time to create page: 0.506 seconds