Skip to main content

Tyres needed for Foden

More
15 years 2 months ago #6614 by Rookie
Replied by Rookie on topic Re: Tyres needed for Foden
I bought some 10.00 x 20 rag tyres for me Leyland bus last year from Wally Mach tyres in Bendigo. Chinese, but they do come with a tube and rust band. Paid $202 each.
www.wmtyres.com.au

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 months ago #6615 by HeyCharger
10.00 x 20 come up on ebay all the time, for a song.
I've gradually upgraded most of mine from crap to brand new retreads. I think the most I've paid for a new recap is $50.

Proud owner of;
1948 Massey Harris 44K.
1946 Ford Semi-Trailer Bus.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
15 years 2 months ago #6616 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Tyres needed for Foden
Have heard th@ clean skin pre owned n luvd 1000x20 tyres R being imported from Overseas as there in demand for recapping
as they can not source the tyres here th@ R ready for capping

cya

[ch9786]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

15 years 2 months ago #6617 by
Replied by on topic Re: Tyres needed for Foden

Have heard th@ clean skin pre owned n luvd 1000x20 tyres R being imported from Overseas as there in demand for recapping
as they can not source the tyres here th@ R ready for capping

cya

[ch9786]

For heavens sake DO NOT touch those imported 10.00 x 20 bags that are coming in from Japan, they look the goods, but there's a fatal flaw in them.
The compound rubber that they use in the tyres MADE over in Japan, has to able to withstand SNOW for months at a time, now that's not a thing you happen to see a heck of a lot of over here in Aust, let alone drive a truck in it.
By all means, buy and use them, at your OWN peril, as when they get hot, they go POP real fast, makes them very expensive bags, eh.

Voice of experience, put 5 of these new secondhand tyres on to the P/M and trailer and headed for Mt Isa about late November, OK, it was hot but it had been hotter, weight was fully legal doing nothing different from any other run up there. Had ALL 5 of these Jap tyres go POP, had to buy some more on the way, bugger of a run that one was.

If your going to buy overseas/imported tyres, then go for the DOUBLE COIN brand which is made in China. This lot are the EXACT same rubber compound recipe that is used in Bridgestone tyres that are made in the states, Bridgestone decide to move to China and the only way they could get started, was to take on a Chinese partner, yep you guessed it, he swiped the recipe and used it in making DOUBLE COIN tyres. These thing last and last and last and are a good price as well, go check on a seller and see what's the best price he can come up with.

No affiliation with Double Coin at all, just a very satisfied user of their product.

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

More
14 years 11 months ago #6618 by huppypuppy

Tyres ---- I am in need of a full set of matching drive tyres ( 8 ) in 10.00 x 20, they don't need to have a lot of tread because the truck won't be driven too far, but i would like them in fair condition.
I do have a set but they are in Bar tread, so they don't really look the part.
Cheers
Murray

Murray,

For new ones, try the Double Coin RLB900 - 10.00R20, 16 ply rating 148/144J load index/speed rating - you'd be better off with new (if you can afford them).... and if you need steers any time, go with their RR150 (same size and ply rating - 148/144M load index/speed rating).

Joe

More
14 years 11 months ago #6619 by kennymopar2
just go to a truck stop you see just about Any size truck tyres advertised in "owner driver" papers etc .. they are imported tyres but they are new and come with warranty . . ive never blown one & occaisionaly i am a little heavy over the steer ..and i do some miles ..next week newcastle to cairns . . anyway most people have shunned 10.00/20" tyres and just gone to 22.5" tubeless . . but of course for a historic truck original is best

More
14 years 4 months ago #6620 by Stuart
Replied by Stuart on topic Re: Tyres needed for Foden
Murray - do you still have the 10.00x20 bar treads ?? I need 8 or 11 in military NDT, but getting to the stage I will consider all offers

14 years 4 months ago - 14 years 4 months ago #6621 by
Replied by on topic Re: Tyres needed for Foden
Greenies spot on with all his tyre advice. Bells in Sth Guildford (Perth) had the Michelin agency from 1952 and then got the Bandag agency when Bandags first appeared, in the mid '60's, from memory. Michelins were the greatest tyre for capping you could ever get .. and every time Bells did a Bandag on a Michelin, they would buff off the front letter on the "Michelin" name on the sidewall.

So .. a first cap would have "ichelin" on it, 2nd cap, "chelin" and so on, down the line. I've seen recapped Michies with only one letter left in the name .. :o

Bells wouldn't take Banglop carcasses for recapping .. they were a bloody disaster for Bells, and the users, if they capped them.
I bought my F700 Mack with a mixture of recapped Banglops and Michies, and every single Banglop went Bang, just dragging a semi-tipper up and down the Coolgardie-Norseman Rd with a legal load .. :'( .. but the Michies were still being recapped when I sold her .. :)

Those Double Coins seem to be pretty good. I've got a mate hauling triples to Karratha and Pt Hedland every week (120 tonnes) with his V8 Mack, and he swears by them .. and he's been using them, on everything (trailer, drives and steers) for at least 10 years that I know of .. :)

More
14 years 4 months ago #6622 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: Tyres needed for Foden
I also have been through the routine of getting my oldies tyred up. It would seem that 10.00x20 in rags is only affordable in chinese and restricted to 2 tread patterns, going to radials opens up more options. They are available 2nd hand mainly because folks are converting to tubeless. Some outfits won't cap rags any more, so if you want the authentic historic look grab em while you can. For my not so old prime mover doing distance at 100 k's I went tubeless for the sake of reliability. I bought them as cases put aside for capping, did a regroove and voila! Brand new. tubeless are probably cheaper than anything else because of the competition.
There is a mob making new military style bar treads in a range of sizes, so they are easily available, but dear.

More
14 years 4 months ago - 14 years 4 months ago #6623 by huppypuppy
Onetrack,

If memory serves me right, Michelin now have their own retreading division called Recamic (Reclaiming a Michelin), or whatever it's called! Why would you bother with Bandags on a Michelin case nowadays??? They use their own treads, which makes retreading easier than ever! I have seen a few Recamic retreaded Michelins and they seem to last a while - predominately on the in-town route buses in our local Buslines group!

And Recamic retreads are easy to obtain - go to your nearest Advantage truck tyre dealer with ya old cases!

Joe
Last edit: 14 years 4 months ago by huppypuppy.

Time to create page: 0.632 seconds