Skip to main content

Insurance for Older Trucks

More
15 years 3 months ago #6644 by Sarge
I need some clues!!!

Had the ACOO road registered for a month now but too scared to drive it out in public as I dont have any insurance, sat at the phone the other day trying all the usual companies and one of them put me on to the insurance council of Aust, (the mob you complain to when you get ripped) told them my problem and they gave me some more numbers to try but being holiday time not too many answers.

The problem seems to be
(a) its a truck.....eeek
(b) its over thrirty years old..... Duhhh
(c) its a truck and its not part of a business....

I only want Third Party just in case I collide with a volvo :o :o

Any Tips....
I am waiting for a bloke from Select Trucks to ring back, my only hope at this stage.

Sarge :-X

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 years 3 months ago #6645 by bparo
Mine has been insured with Shannon's since I brought it. However it was unregistered when I first insured it (to get it home on a permit) and it is on "Club Plates" so I am not sure if that makes a difference. They may be worth a try,

A couple of other Members with smaller trucks are with RACV but they won't tow anything the size of mine but will come to try to get it going again.

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
15 years 3 months ago #6646 by Swishy
Sarge
GuddayM8
Try Shannons
N tell m U have restored an ol vehicle etc etc etc Oh by the way it's wot U call a truck thingy
LOL
cya

[ch9786]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
15 years 3 months ago #6647 by ray
Replied by ray on topic Re: Insurance for Older Trucks
G'day Sarge, Like bparo says, try Shannons. I have our 1963 Leyland bus/motorhome insured with them and admittedly it's on limited mileage (5000ks) but the cost is more than reasonable. Won't hurt to call them!

More
15 years 3 months ago #6648 by grash
There is also LUMLEY SPECIAL VEHICLE Insurance. There have been a few changes in the past 18 months, so I am not sure what their current policy is regarding trucks.
www.lsvinsurance.com.au but well worth a try.

More
15 years 3 months ago #6649 by Andy Wright
I'm with Shannon's as well for all three Bedfords and the Mack and Chev when I had them. 50% of the time I get guys who actually know what vehicles I am talking about and the other times I get girls who at least ask the right questions.

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

15 years 3 months ago #6650 by
Replied by on topic Re: Insurance for Older Trucks
My Thornycroft was insured with Shannons initially. (Mind you they didn't get the particulars correct). I then later on moved it over to RACV as they have a Vintage insurance policy also. Was quite a bit cheaper at the time. (Believe the NSW version of RACV offer similar product).

The Inter is insured with RACV. But it is running full reg so I have that on just a normal insurance policy. Not a vintage vehicle restricted policy. Mind you it is insured as comprehensive not just 3rd party. The difference in cost was very minimal!

More
15 years 3 months ago #6651 by Andy Wright
To be fair, Sarge, I have been considering moving to RACV as have heard good things about them. JB reinforces my decision.

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

More
15 years 3 months ago #6652 by bparo
I looked at moving to RACV with the whole fleet (the modern car is with them) but as my XP was on full reg they wanted $1500 a year to insure it for $4000 when I asked in 2003. It didn't qualify for their vintage policy as it was on full registration! They were not even interested in insuring int for $10,000 when I enquired about both the XP Ute and the truck for $25,000 before xmas indicating they might be interested in the truck at $3,000 but not the ute at more than $1500. It seems they were only looking at red book values.

Shannon's upped the ute from $4500 to $10,000 and the truck from $4,000 to $25,000 and offered to cover the increased value for $9.25 a quarter (in order to keep the insurance due end of March rather the
December). When I offered to pay the increase on the spot on the phone they waived the charge until March based on my long association with them (9 years). Both companies consider Mrs P and Myself rating 1 drivers and the combined cost of the Truck and Ute at Shanons is about the same as the AU sedan with a multi policy discount at RACV.

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
15 years 3 months ago #6653 by Eddy
Replied by Eddy on topic Re: Insurance for Older Trucks
I have third Party Prop only on my Terry through RAA ... $117.oo per year.
Apparently they don't normally insure trucks, but I managed to talk the chick into getting the nod from up above. Course I also have four other vehicles, and home & contents insurance with them.

Be it firearms or V8 engines, the question is not "why should you have them?"
, but "who are you to demand that I justify them?"

Time to create page: 0.580 seconds