Skip to main content

Chev steering

More
15 years 1 month ago #7452 by Tired Iron Tony
Hi all,

This is my first posting here. I'm in the UK and have just bought a 1942 Chev 1 1/2 ton truck. It is left-hand drive, but I need to convert it to right-hand drive. Does anyone have a spare RH box and linkage to sell, or can point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago #7453 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: Chev steering
Tony......
Can I ask the dumb question so no one else has to be embarrased???

Thanks ... I will .... and welcome abroad ::) ::)

Why would the steering box be any different, I would have thought you could just swap the pitman or drag link from left to right or other way around and bolt it all back in. It will still function the same, just a bit further to the right.

Sarge :-X

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
15 years 1 month ago #7454 by IHScout
Replied by IHScout on topic Re: Chev steering
Sarge, trust you to have the dumb question :P
Intelligent people and International Scout owners know the problem is mounting the steering box to the frame that's the issue. You can't just flip them over because then bits point the wrong way. :o

Tony you'll probably find the steering box isn't exclusive to Chev and is used in other vehicles. Do you have any more details or pictures?

Dennis

Dennis

More
15 years 1 month ago #7455 by Tired Iron Tony
Replied by Tired Iron Tony on topic Re: Chev steering
Hi Guys,

I'll take some shots of the original set-up over the weekend and post them. In the mean time here is a pic of the truck as it arrived in the UK (the Jeep is not mine unfortunately!).

15 years 1 month ago #7456 by
Replied by on topic Re: Chev steering
Hi Tony ,welcome to the forum.

How long is it from the bottom of the box to the top of where the steering whell fits on .

and what is the distance between the pitman arm other side . Dave

More
15 years 1 month ago #7457 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Re: Chev steering
My turn to ask a couple of dumb questions.

Why do you want to convert it to Right Hand Drive? Can you register it Left Hand Drive?

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
15 years 1 month ago #7458 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Chev steering
There was a lot of these Chevs out here, should not be hard to find the right box. I know IH used Ross steering boxes, it might not be a Chev part.

More
15 years 1 month ago #7459 by Rookie
Replied by Rookie on topic Re: Chev steering
I've got a 41 Chev 1 1/2 ton truck, but the US 4x4 version. I assume they use a similar steering box. Mine had already been converted to RHD, but I am returning it back to LHD. All they did was turn the box upside down and mount it on the right hand rail. It also means the filler plug will be on the bottom, which is not good. To change the box over will be an engine out job as well.

The pedal setup will be more of an issue as you will need a RHD bellhousing. I have photos if you are interested.

Steve

More
15 years 1 month ago #7460 by Tired Iron Tony
Pictures would be great Rookie!

Is there anyway to get round replacing the bellhousing? I had not thought of the pedals, the starter motor was giving me cause for concern though - seems to be just in the way.

I'll take some pics and dimensions over the weekend and post them.

The reason for converting to RH drive was to build a LRDG truck. I can't bring myself to cut the cab down (don't think that would be right anyway) so thinking of getting an open cab off a scrap GMC and modifying that. A whole new rear bed will have to be frabricated as the GMC one that it currently has is wrong.

Cheers all!

More
15 years 1 month ago #7461 by Tired Iron Tony
Hey Rookie, thinking about it, would a RH drive bellhousing get over the problem with the clutch linkage AND the starter motor? Fancy selling yours if it is available and fits?

Cheers!

Time to create page: 0.560 seconds