Skip to main content

Chev steering

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #7462 by Rookie
Replied by Rookie on topic Re: Chev steering
Hi Tony,

Would love to sell you the bellhousing, but my truck and parts are in storage due to shifting house recently. There may be an easier way.

I'm not sure if the civilian and military versions of the Chev are the same, as I know mine shares a lot of parts with its big brother, the GMC. I was going to convert my RH bellhousing to LH by cutting a hole for the clutch throwout fork, and get a machine shop to mill the left hand side flat to take a spacer. Then it would be simple matter of tapping some holes for the brake and clutch pedals as they are easily reversed. I'm not sure what they did the pedals as I may have to source LH ones. The starter motor is not a problem as it operted a foot operated pedal switch that is attached to the bellhousing.

The next photo shows the steering box. New mounting holes were drilled in the RH rail, and the box was fitted upside down. As for the instruments, they must have been on a budget as they were left on the LHS.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #7463 by Tired Iron Tony
Replied by Tired Iron Tony on topic Re: Chev steering
Here is the steering box on the Chev (sorry, didn't have time to get the crud off).

Do you reckon I can get away with turning it upside down???

While I'm posting, here are some shots of the engine. Does anyone recognise it? I belive the original engine was changed for a more powerful unit. It is a straight 6 Chevy engine.

Here is the gearbox. I need a RH drive bellhousing to suit.

Thanks all! :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.384 seconds