7 years 2 months ago #178789 by grandad
Replied by grandad on topic Commer Karrier Photos
Dave, have a look at the date code on the window and windscreen glasses

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #178798 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Commer Karrier Photos
Grandad,
Just went out with a torch and magnifying glass, only markings I could find are the following:-
' AS2 then three crosses (X) with the words Triplex toughened'
Under that is the letter 'S' with what looks to be something akin to two ice-cream cones side by side.
Found this on the windscreen, both quarter vent windows and the drivers side window and one of the curved rear cab windows.
Centre cab rear window, other curved rear cab window and passenger side window glass have NO markings whatsoever. So, unless there is something etched into the glass below the levels of the rubber glass pieces well hidden, that's all I could locate.
Suppose I should be thankful that I have all the cab glass at all, because I'd hate to have to try and source it!
Thanks, Dave

More
7 years 2 months ago #178799 by grandad
Dave, have a look at the words 'Triplex' and 'Toughened' and there should be a dot over one of the letters in Triplex and a dot under one of the letters in Toughened.

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #178801 by Dave_64
Yep, found em!
Dot above the 'E' in triplex.
Dot below the 'U' in toughened.
Also where the triple X is, have one single X on top line, dot directly beneath that, then two more X's on the lower line.
And if that's the way you decipher a build date for the glass at least, I humbly admit that I did not have one clue about it's existence! Wonder how many others were aware of that?
Thanks, Dave.
But what do it all mean?
e is sixth letter, u is third letter. Could that at least make the glass (if they are all the same markings) a 1963?
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Dave_64. Reason: additional text

More
7 years 2 months ago #178803 by grandad
Triplex Window Date Code Decoding

If you know the decade your car was produced, you can find the last digit of the year by looking for two dots in the TRIPLEX logo on the glass.

One dot above T, R, E, or X gives the quarter of the year the glass was manufactured:

T is Jan, Feb, March,
R is April, May, June,
E is July Aug, Sept, and
X stands for Oct, Nov, Dec.
To find the year the glass was manufactured, look at the nine letters in the word TOUGHENED.
One dot below a letter gives the year of the decade:

T is 1,
O is 2,
U is 3,
G is 4,
H is 5,
E is 6,
N is 7,
E is 8,
D is 9
If there is no dot, the year is a zero.

This code also works if you have a TRIPLEX window with the word LAMINATED instead of TOUGHENED.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, scratcha

More
7 years 2 months ago #178804 by Dave_64
Also found quarter vent windows and passenger side main window dot over R and under G.
Windscreen has dot after X and under G.
No dots between the 'X's on windsreen (replacement screen??)

More
7 years 2 months ago #178806 by Dave_64
Grandad,
That is great info ! Because of the one piece windscreens coming in what I have been told is 1957, If I move up to the NEXT decade, if I am reading your tables correctly, glass at least was made in 1963 and 1964. COULD have always been replacements of course, because I have been informed that the crank handle was dropped out around 1960-61. Every little bit helps, still narrowing it down.
Thanks heaps!
Dave

More
7 years 2 months ago #178809 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Commer Karrier Photos
Yep thats for sure the one new thing I learnt for the day thanks Grand Dad

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
7 years 2 months ago #178939 by Dave_64
Just as a bit of an update, may have to rethink my timeline for this old girl! Just received word (via email) from the U.K. that the body builders B.L.S.P. closed their doors in 1966 due to industrial trouble (must have been at the start of a lot of that kerfuffle that bought the pom vehicle manufacturing to it's knees?).
Anyway, coupled with Grandads interpretation of the windscreen engraving marks, (1963 and 1964), although throwing my WAG out the window, begins to be looking a bit more promising every day.
How some of you blokes track down details on some of these really obscure rebuilds, well, all I can say is you must have infinitely more patience than I.
Either that or access to some really good publications, or switched on youngsters who know their way around Mr Google!
Dave

More
7 years 2 months ago #178945 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic Commer Karrier Photos
Great stuff grandad, I always thought TRIPLEX counting was the decades, as in dot over the E being 1960??? I learn something new from this forum - again!
Maybe there is someone out there with a 40s or 50s vehicle they could check for us???
I am sure I'm not the only person who went out to their truck and went looking B)

Time to create page: 0.554 seconds