Skip to main content

W J GEORGE

More
10 years 6 months ago #124823 by banga
W J GEORGE was created by banga
New to it all, l love the stories and restorations, like Buc I love my 1418's but just wondering does anyone have any photos or stories on W J George had depot in Sydney Regant Park area dad worked for them in the 70's and I haven't seen any photos or stories on them and remember going to the depot when I was a kid I think the motto was "let George do it" or something. Thank you. :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #124824 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Re: W J GEORGE
Bang Ah,

Welcum ol mate. ;)

Like ya 1418's, then ya not on ya own on this ere 4M. 8-) 8-)

Plenty fellas and gals luv their fraulines and then there be sum that wish they be own'in one. [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif] [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

I dun't rememba WJ George as I be in Vic but do remeba a Geo ?? that ran atkinsons outa Melbourne cart'in wool bales fer Cleckheaton wool to Benalla. :-? :-?

If'in I rememba correctlee, twas a bloke called Peter Henderson that drove an ol Atkinson with a R/R and Gardiner.

Anyone rememba Peter Henderson??

Get ya piccies up when ya can Bang Ah cos we all love piccies. [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Regards, Buc. :)

More
10 years 6 months ago #124825 by Bugly
Replied by Bugly on topic Re: W J GEORGE
Gidday Banga - welcome to the forum, where you'll find two main groups of truck-nuts ... those that own Benz's, and those that don't but wish they did!! ;D ;D ;D

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

More
10 years 6 months ago #124826 by Buc
Replied by Buc on topic Re: W J GEORGE
Bang Ah,

Tiz cum ta the ol Buc.

Geo Shepard ?? Moight not be rite spell'in and twas outa Melbourne. :-/ :-/

May need ta start anutha thread but sum 1 moight be know'in of em or Peter Henderson.

Regards, Buc. :)

More
10 years 6 months ago #124827 by banga
Replied by banga on topic Re: W J GEORGE
Hi Bugly,

I am one that owns one and hopefully going to Alice Springs in 2015 that is the plan I hope and as for W J George when dad drove for them that had 180 and R190 good to hear from you to Buc. ;)

More
10 years 6 months ago #124828 by HARDSHAR
Replied by HARDSHAR on topic Re: W J GEORGE
Hi banga,
Welcome to the forum and i remember WJ George and their motto was "let george do it" so your memory is not to bad.
Good thing about this forum is alltough you own a Benz us Bedford blokes will still talk to you. ;) ;)
Cheers Kev.

More
10 years 6 months ago #124829 by ronhorse
Replied by ronhorse on topic Re: W J GEORGE
I used to subby for George's and his 190's had "let George do it" across the cab above the windscreen, they were good people, love to see pictures of their trucks., somebody must have some.

anything above the reasoning of a mongrel dog is a waste of time

More
10 years 6 months ago #124830 by myflint69
Replied by myflint69 on topic Re: W J GEORGE
W J George Transport's Sydney depot was in Chisholm rd, Regents Park, I was a sub-contractor for them in the early 80's, carting ICI, Monsanto and Union Carbide products, their interstate trucks in those days were 3070 Accos, 903 Cummins pulling tri axle Fruehaufs, there was a few old 90's a AEC Mandator , 2 Fiats and some Atkinsons aswell as some Benzes doing local at the time, all well worn but nice trucks in their day, signage and pinstriping really set them off, and of course the LET GEORGE DO IT logo on the rear of the trailers and above the windscreen.
The Melbourne depot was in Second Ave, Sunshine and the Brisbane depot was in Colebard St, Arcacia Ridge.
Old Bill George used to still visit the yard regularly in those days. Good firm to work for with good rates and regular payment.

1969 Mack R600.
1969 C1600 Inter.
1964 MF 35 Tractor.

More
10 years 6 months ago #124831 by banga
Replied by banga on topic Re: W J GEORGE
Hi hardshar
my first truck I drove was a boggie Bedford with a 466 diesel I think I probley not to say it being a benz man but I love driving it I was 18 and it was a big truck

More
10 years 6 months ago #124832 by raafy
Replied by raafy on topic Re: W J GEORGE

Gidday Banga - welcome to the forum, where you'll find two main groups of truck-nuts ... those that own Benz's, and those that don't but wish they did!! ;D ;D ;D

There is a third group that I am a member of. Those who had the misfortune of working on them.
:( :( :( :( :(

MOVED FROM CAIRNS TO VICTORIA & STILL TRYING TO WORK OUT WHY

Time to create page: 0.459 seconds