Skip to main content

Historic buses

More
9 years 8 months ago #144281 by Roderick Smith
Here are three unidentified ones at Northam (WA) on Sun.27.1.69.
The lhs one looks like the Leyland Royal Tiger Cub posted at reply 7, but similar bodies can be placed on chassis from many makers. The other two look like Fodens, but one is passenger/freight, the other is just passenger.
I didn't record the numbers.
Australian Bus Fleets supports, but doesn't prove, these ideas. I would have to look at every photo, and remove the ones which can't be prospects, and see what is left.
< www.perthbus.info/index.php?page=10> ;

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago #144282 by Thunder Down Under
Roderick.

You might like to get hold of a copy of Johg Young's excellent book. 'Railway Road Bus and Truck Services of Western Australia'.

I can highly reccommend it.

TDU

More
9 years 8 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #144283 by Roderick Smith
I now have a copy of Railway road bus and truck services of Western Australia.

690109Th Mullewa (WA). Hino UQA514 (fleet L101, nearly new), with the new reflective plates; Leyland Tiger Cub WAG8984 (fleet L84), with the older-style plates; an unidentified truck; trolleys moving bags around from the overnight train 'Mullewa' from Perth. (Roderick Smith).

Roderick

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Roderick Smith. Reason: replacing lapsed link with direct photo

More
9 years 8 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #144284 by Roderick Smith
North Haven (Adelaide, SA): Leyland Atlantean. Wed.23.4.14. (Jeff Bounds)
The type was built from 1958 to 1986. Sydney had a fleet (early 1970s?).
Roderick.

Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Roderick Smith. Reason: neaten

More
9 years 8 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #144285 by Roderick Smith
Harrietville (Vic.): Bon Accord Hospice, with a Hoy bus & truck. Nov.1959. (Roderick Smith)
Australian Bus Fleets goes only to the 1970s with its history lists.
The company's website has only a title page, no history page. < www.buslines.com.au/hoys >.
This was on a school excursion, which would have used two or three buses.
I don't remember Mrs Hoy, but my father did from later years, when he ran school excursions there.
When I became a teacher in charge, I was working with one of the sons who had inherited the family business.
The company dominated Ovens Valley: Wangaratta - Myrtleford - Bright - Harrietville - Mt Hotham, and ran the hospice at Harrietville.
Later, an offshoot was DeLuxe.
5911xx Harrietville (Vic.). Hoys bus and truck. (Roderick Smith)

Roderick

Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Roderick Smith. Reason: neaten

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #144286 by Roderick Smith
Picnic Bay, Magnetic Island (Qld): One of about three Chevrolet buses. Apr.-Aug.1956. (N Smith, Roderick Smith collection).
This photo was taken by my father when we lived at Nelly Bay. Picnic Bay had the main ferry jetty, Hotel Magnetic and an outdoor cinema. Nelly Bay had the general store. I am surprised that the bus didn't continue to Arcadia, which had a resort accommodation. Perhaps it did. Horseshoe Bay did not have sufficient population to warrant even a token service. The island had one general-carrier truck, and one taxi (a Ford Zephyr or Consul).
In their final years, these buses were painted in gimmicky tourist schemes, with silly names. One has been restored at Sydney Bus Museum.

What model/year is this one?

Roderick B Smith

Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Roderick Smith.

More
9 years 6 months ago #144287 by Beaver
Replied by Beaver on topic Re: Historic buses
The preserved unit is at the SYDNEY BUS MUSEUM, not the Fire Museum.

Our only bus is a 1935 Dennis, built by the Fire Brigade as a staff transport

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

More
9 years 6 months ago #144288 by Roderick Smith
Is this another ~1942 Chevrolet? It is small part of a whole streetscape, taken by my father in 1955. The right are Rex Cinema (screening again today) and Victoria Hotel (now boutique food outlets).
Roderick B Smith

550521Sa Daylesford (Vic.): Old bus outside Rex Cinema. N Smith.

More
9 years 5 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #144289 by Roderick Smith
Earlier in the thread there was a photo of this bus at Mullewa, on a Geraldton - Meekatharra run. I went by freight train overnight, then joined it next morning for its next duty: to Perth via the inland route.
From Australian Bus Fleet Lists: H101/H82 Hino RC320P 40274 FreighterWA C32FT. UQA514 Westrail (H82); ex-UQA514 Western Australian Government Railways (H101).
The vehicle was nearly new. At Meekatharra there was a delay: the driver couldn't get the motor to start. Along came an antique truck used for kangaroo shooting, straight out of Ken Maynard cartoon. It attached a rope, and tow started the modern vehicle. What indignity. By sitting on speed limits, all time was made up.
Paynes Find (WA). WAGR Hino bus UQA514. Fri.10.1.69. (Roderick Smith)

Roderick.

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Roderick Smith. Reason: replace lapsed link with direct photo.

More
9 years 5 months ago #144290 by Roderick Smith
690113M Albany (WA). WAGR Foden DP54, built in 1950. R Smith.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria

Time to create page: 0.529 seconds