Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Re: Myanmar trucks

Re: Myanmar trucks 24 Mar 2015 00:52 #144550

• Tatra
  • Thank you received: 26

A close up of a proper railway-style railmotor, which was nearly new. I cannot ready the stylised lettering using any alphabet which I know (Hebrew is the best fit, but Israel imported; it did not build and export).
Since it isn't a converted truck, not many features would be recognisable: just the grille and the badge. It could even be a modern Hino, building on a long-standing trading arrangement.
[img]farm3.staticflickr.com/2933/14324065929_ab3af0e4a6_o.jpg

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Roderick,

This is not Hebrew and certainly not one of the Leyland Royal Tigers sold to Burmese operators in the 80s. You are correct in saying that the chassis were not produced in Israel - they were assembled from CKD kits by Leyland Ashdod in... Ashdod. However, coachwork was Israeli by either Mercavim or Haargaz. Here are a few pics of the ex-Israeli Leylands in use in Burma.

From this chap: www.flickr.com/photos/orenhadar/

By Jack Barlev on www.tapuz.co.il/albums/forumalbums/forum...505&pagenumber=1&o=5

All the above were ex-Egged, before de-regulation Israel's biggest bus & coach operator - I remember them well growing up in Israel during the 60s-80s...

As is the custom in Burma, they were brutally modified to keep them going. I would assume those which survive most likely have vertical engines of Japanese origin.

Cheers

T
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roderick Smith

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Myanmar trucks 24 Mar 2015 00:56 #144551

• Tatra
  • Thank you received: 26

This one has me lost. I thought that I recognised it as a 1950s of European origin, but a web search isn't bringing up anything.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

870926Su Meiktila (Myanmar). Minibus to Thazi (with my case on the cab roof).

That uses a Skoda 1200 cab but who knows what else...

The following user(s) said Thank You: Roderick Smith

Re: Myanmar trucks 31 Jul 2019 12:22 #202131

• Roderick Smith
  • Roderick Smith's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 156
Thanks Tatra for two helpful replies.
I too had been going for Skoda for the cream truck-bus.
The rail one is confirmed as Hino based. That is a Hino badge, with the roman script changed to highly-stylised Burmese. Normally Burmese is round bubbles; that lettering is squared.
The original photos are no longer on my flickr account.
I won't repost here. Have just the link to a flickr view which should survive for a few years:
www.flickr.com/photos/13175590@N00/48271689476

Here is the badge.
870925F Yone Zin (Myanmar): Railmotor, based on Hino mechanicals. (Roderick Smith)

Roderick
Attachments:

Last edit: by Roderick Smith. Reason: Attached the attachment.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.263 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Phone: 0400 025 525    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558