Skip to main content

Old trucks

More
4 years 2 months ago #205887 by dno
Replied by dno on topic Old trucks

Southbound wrote: Be a good un to cart tractors to classic truck shows, comes with in built music too! Was at Emerald (Vic) for a long time that one.

Just near the rail crossing.

Chipping away, one day at a time.
Limited Access Excavations.
Find me on Instagram, or search deankummer.com
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge, Southbound

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #205928 by Roderick Smith
I was a contemporary, only a few streets away. We may well have met at kindergarten, school, the playground or the local cinema.
191218W-Melbourne'HeraldSun'-1954-bus.treat.jpg

Roderick
Attachments:

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #205941 by Roderick Smith
Here are two crops of a Public Records Office of Victoria photo, which appeared on a railway site recently.
It is one of a Victorian Railways series, covering every one of the rail-over-road bridges from West Richmond to Clifton Hill.
This one is Langridge St.
In the full streetscape (not fully retoned, and not cleaned) the cars suggest mid 1960s (Holden EJ 1962-63 or Holden EH 1964).
Friendly Societies Hotel has survived, but renamed Carringbush Hotel after the name used for Collingwood in the novel 'Power without glory'.
I am guessing that the truck is a 'jailbar' Ford, but can't get the model or the year. That type ran from 1942 to 1948.

Roderick

Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Roderick Smith. Reason: put a space between the photos

More
4 years 2 months ago #205950 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Old trucks - ~1940s (Ford)
Thinking EH.
EJ stainless trim drooped towards the rear.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Roderick Smith

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 1 month ago #205990 by Roderick Smith
These three appeared on a railway group a few days ago. They are PROV photos, archiving the former VR collection.
The vehicle appears to be a 1936 Ford. I don't know if VR had a fleet, or if each was different.
Jolimont (Melbourne, Vic.): VR breakdown vehicle 6. (PROV)
We discussed the differences between the 1935, 1936 and 1937 grilles earlier. I think that this is 1936.
www.hcvc.com.au/forum/truck_Chat/6448-fi...nces?start=10#200096
Also enclosed is a closer view of the motorbike. Somebody may recognise the make/model, and that may help as a dating clue. The car in the distance seems to be 1940s. The clothing could be any time from the 1930s to the mid 1950s.
The truck shows signs of wear, so these photos weren't taken on its delivery day.
I've never been able to find a summary of Victorian numberplates by year. At last, Wikipedia gives some clues:
AA started in 1939.
My father's VL was 1951.
GAA started in 1953.
That car must be 1940, but of course needn't be new.

Roderick

Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Roderick Smith. Reason: added an improved version of the car

More
4 years 2 months ago #205994 by fxs80
Replied by fxs80 on topic Old trucks - ~1936 Ford
Going to go with 1936 Indian Chief & sidecar as it still has leaf spring frontend & no valance guard , def not WLC Harley as they had straight girder forks

1939 D2
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Roderick Smith

More
4 years 2 months ago #205996 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Old trucks - ~1936 Ford
Its a WW2 Chief,Model 344 (CDD),made for lendlease with a LH sidecar.....US military chief was a CDA,with a RH sidecar........believe it or not,I sold one of these for $20,and threw in another complete bike less motor and box.......the stuff I gave away would have paid for my retirement.

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #205997 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Old trucks
Just looking at those railway blokes takes me back to childhood days when we used to watch them doing repairs on the rails and gates at a crossing on the way to school. Even at the age of 6 I got a feeling that everything was turned to slow motion in the short periods between smoko and lunch. I could never figure out why the job was so technical that it took 3 watching supervisors for every bloke actually with a shovel or spanner.

The fellow with the rope in his hand is a throwback to horse-drawn days when they had to have someone hold the horse. After motor vehicles came in the unions demanded no job losses so the horse man tied his rope to the truck to make sure it did not get away.

The Army is just as bad. If you see a ceremonial artillery salute in UK there will be one of the gunners behind the gun who holds his arms out straight just before the order to fire. The rumour is it is a warning to people before the bang, actually in previous times he was grabbing the short halters on the horses to stop them bolting.

Lang
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Lang.

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #206004 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Old trucks
I would guess the car may be a 38 Chev

Could also be a Willys which had the same basic Holden body with side window pressings different.

Fords had a sloping back.

But my money is on a 38 Dodge/DeSoto/Plymouth because of the lack of hinges in the photo.
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roderick Smith

More
4 years 2 months ago #206005 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Old trucks
Must be taken later that 1942,its possible the bike was supplied to the railways by the yanks,they supplied the railways with plenty of other stuff.......if the bike is private ,then after WW2.

Time to create page: 0.523 seconds