Skip to main content

Old trucks

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #169409 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Ford D?
Melbourne (Vic.) Essendon Airport. Sat.11.6.77. Piper Aztec; a Ford D fuel tanker.

Roderick

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Roderick Smith. Reason: Fix mistakes.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #169945 by Roderick Smith
A private duo planned a long-weekend full of activity to celebrate the centenary of Hawthorn Tramways Trust:
Sat.23.4: Melbourne tour in a city-circle tram, with lunch at the former Hawthorn Depot, and an inspection of Wattle Park (established by HTT).
Sun.24.4: chartered train to Ballarat, with operation of former HTT trams by the tramway museum, and an optional visit to Haddon or a paddleboat ride.
Mon.25.4: chartered train to Bendigo, with operation of a former HTT tram by the tramway, and an optional visit to the Marilyn Munroe costume exhibition or the gold mine.
Plans were scaled back.
A city-circle tram was unavailable, but two Z1 trams were used, and became a farewell tour: the type was withdrawn at the end of Fri.22.4.
Numbers precluded the charter of trains, and the whole Bendigo day.
On Sunday, the preserved buses which would have been used for local transport ran the whole way from Melbourne.
* Private ex Qld 'Butterbox' (Volvo B10M?), now preserved in NSW, and brought by its owner as a stylish way of attending the celebrations.
* Private AEC Regal Mk III, a regular attender of events (I rode in it from the service to the cemetery for Bill Kingsley's funeral).
* Moonee Valley Coaches Austral Tourmaster, now on historic plates.
From ABFL: MVC had 51 2251AO, 56 2256AO & 57 2257AO, and I don't know which one this was.
Two buses left Melbourne SC, and were joined by MVC at Ballan during a toilet & refreshment break.
I used the Butterbox to Ballan, then MVC. Coming home, I rode the AEC to Ballan, then rejoined the Butterbox.

Roderick

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #170080 by Roderick Smith
These were nearly new then, but both the photo and the bus are over 35 years old. IIRC they had airflow ventilation, but not airconditioning; vinyl seats, not cloth. Years later, I rode one and it sounded as if it were underpowered and bleeding to death.
Watheroo Station Hotel was an expansion of the Midland Railway WA refreshment room, with a ~1960 mismatched tacky addition on the street side.
IIRC, there had been another hotel in the town, but it was destroyed by fire and not replaced.
The hotel was used as a refreshment stop for Western Australia Government Railways buses.
On Wed.2.1.69, I rode the 8.30 Perth - Geraldton, a near-new Hino (number not noted), due at 12.35.
I didn't patronise the hotel: I was rushing to get photos of the remains of the steam-loco facilities.
I then boarded the 8.45 Geraldton - Perth (another Hino, number not noted), due at 13.40.
690122W Watheroo (WA): Watheroo Station Hotel; Hino bus from or to Geraldton, pausing for a refreshment stop. (Roderick Smith)

Roderick

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Roderick Smith. Reason: fixing a corrupted photo

More
7 years 1 month ago #179299 by Roderick Smith
700419Su Collins St at Spencer St (Melbourne, Vic.): International Acco concrete truck; SW6.955 on route 10 to South Melbourne & St Kilda Beach. (Roderick Smith).
This was a day of tram-track work in Collins St. Inbound route 10 trams were terminating in Collins St at Spencer St, and in Brunswick St at Victoria Pde; inbound route 42 trams were terminating in Victoria Pde at Brunswick St. Several M&MTB half-cab buses were providing shuttles via Collins St, and were running through safety zones there, but terminating at the northern kerb in Victoria Pde. The truck may have been associated with the tram work, or perhaps with a building-construction project.
Roderick

Attachments:

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #179876 by Roderick Smith
May 1957 'VR News Letter': Hamilton, rail bitumen tanker RTC 'Oldfield'; CRB bitumen tank truck, International Harvester prime mover (year/model?).
Years ago, I got many, but not all of, the wagon names. They were famous road engineers and CRB chairmen. From memory: Telford, Macadam, Catani, (Bradfield?)...

Roderick

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Roderick Smith. Reason: added words

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #179954 by Roderick Smith
170302Th Melbourne 'Herald Sun' - Wodonga, 1953. (Melbourne 'Argus').
I can't identify any of the trucks. The nearer cars are a Holden FX and a Ford Zephyr. The other cars are too obscured or too remote to identify.

Roderick

Attachments:

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #179955 by 600Dodge
Replied by 600Dodge on topic Wodonga (Vic.) in 1953
Front left truck is a 46 Ford possibly an F4

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #179957 by oldgmc
Replied by oldgmc on topic Wodonga (Vic.) in 1953
A 39 Dodge on the right and may be a Plymouth or Dodge in the distance

Old trucks will make you poor but not unhappy

More
7 years 1 week ago - 7 years 1 week ago #180465 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Old trucks
This archive photo was used to illustrate today's news of expanding the Snowy Mountains hydroelectric scheme. Dodge 100 Kew 'Parrot Nose'.
See < en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_100_%22Kew%22 >
170316Th Melbourne Herald Sun - Snowy Mountains.

Edited to take in the prompt replies, both forum & facebook.
Roderick.

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 1 week ago by Roderick Smith. Reason: correct id now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: werkhorse, xspanrman

More
7 years 1 week ago #180468 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Old trucks
Parrot nosed Dodge

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roderick Smith

Time to create page: 0.604 seconds