Skip to main content

Old trucks

More
6 years 5 months ago #188204 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Old trucks
Swishy's shots of NA6 are intriguing. I have no ready reference for dating them.
AFAIK the first cavalcade was 26.1.1977. I was in India. There is no mention of an NA in a report of 1978.
The cars are 1970s.
I was at 26.1.81, and Puffing Billy wasn't there.
I tried Australasian Post as a dating clue: it lasted to 2002.
Another clue: when did that truck join the fleet?
Enclosed:
- the trigger photo, after some major surgery.
- 580310M Moomba - NA7 (6's plates). Neil Smith, Roderick Smith collection. I do have two on the hard drive which show the truck involved, but the photographer is not part of my regular circuit, and I will have to contact via mutual friends for approval to post.

Roderick.

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #188245 by Roderick Smith
100529Sa Thomson River bridge (Moe - Walhalla, Vic.) - NA7, trucked from Puffing Billy Railway to Walhalla for a weekend of special operation marking the centenary of the Walhalla line. It was running with NA9 plates (a loco which had been based at Moe). R Smith.
100529Sa Walhalla - the trailer which had brought the NA. R Smith.

Roderick.

Attachments:

More
6 years 5 months ago #188291 by Roderick Smith
170913W Melbourne 'Herald Sun' real estate - Russell St at Flinders St (Melbourne, Vic.), Duke of Wellington Hotel.
(1920s?). The car may well be a taxi. The trailer looks to be for a fruit vendor.
with this 1970 view, in Flinders St, a Morris (J?).
and this 1986, with an M&MTB bus (MAN?).
171023M Metro Twitter - Swanston St at Flinders St (Melbourne, Vic.) - cars. (1940s? PROV). I can't see anything newer than 1940s. But the sign (cropped) on the station I identify with 1950s.

Roderick.

Attachments:

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
6 years 5 months ago #188294 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Old trucks
Here U go Smitty

Australian Post Magazine Feb 1978 Page 18 - 19

cya

ยง

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: bparo, Roderick Smith

More
6 years 5 months ago #188312 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Old trucks
Notice how the hotel's been all "bogged up" by the 60's. They're undoing that everywhere, now and finding nice old columns and such.

80's picture: Alfa Romeo, Datsun 180B and Subaru.

Jarrod.

โ€œI offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about themโ€

โ€• Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
6 years 5 months ago #188349 by Roderick Smith
Great dating 'Swishy'. I was also helped independently by a Puffing Billy contact. In turn, I should share this magazine original (now dated) with my helper and a couple of railway groups.
I have two more photos of the 1958 event, but from a source from which I may not post without approval. I am hunting for that via contacts.
I have yet to find a public scannable of the delivery of the Portsea one.

Here is one of mine, on the hard drive already.

100502Su Moe (Vic.) Colin Rees's Peckett, brought for the day from Puffing Bills for a local celebration during the visit of a steam train from Melbourne, with buses to Walhalla, for the centenary of the Moe - Walhalla line. Colin obtained all three former West Melbourne Gasworks 762 mm gauge steam locos, along with one from Thailand. He has been very generous with a long-term loan to PBR, and has a trailer with rails which gets quite a bit of use. He runs CRT transport, so I guess that the prime mover in this view is one of his. The Peckett tends to be a PBR greeting card: lighter than an NA, and more-readily spared from the busy railway. At home, it is used for driver-experience charters (a popular gift from adult kids to their father), and gets fibreglass mouldings attached for 'Friends of Thomas' days.

Roderick.

Attachments:

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
6 years 5 months ago #188351 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Old trucks
Smitty
Gudday m8
Can remember way back wen ..... I carted Colin Rees's train from Craigie Rd or Bentons Rd farm Mount Martha area
took the little jigger to a taxi truck ware house just off F.T.Gully Rd Oakleigh
he did mention twaz gunna B setup to run in the park under the West Gate Bridge
Once again no pix of the event
cya

ยง

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
6 years 3 months ago #190252 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Milk-churn trucks
610902Sa-09Sa Korumburra (Vic.) butter factory: trucks for churn transport, in an era before bulk handling. (Roderick Smith).
Roderick.
Attachments:

More
6 years 3 months ago #190273 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Old trucks
May 1962 Longwarry (Vic.): Farm to factory milk-churn truck. South Gippsland was full of relatives in the towns and on dairy farms. We visited them on day trips, and the two boys spent holidays on different farms.
Roderick.

Attachments:

More
6 years 2 months ago #190557 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Old trucks
I reckon this would've been hard work..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Time to create page: 0.604 seconds