Skip to main content

Old trucks

More
5 years 2 months ago #198991 by overlander
Replied by overlander on topic Old trucks
Greetings. I refer to Zuffen's comment about the Kenyan Railways train- In my time in Africa my work required me to use the train from Nairobbery to Mombasa- this service used to depart twice daily- 5pm and 7pm and the same from Mombasa. Then KR cut the service to one departure a day, then one every 2 days. I suspect you could put this down to lack of maintenance and lack of budget to maintain the rolling stock. It wasn't unusual for the train to clag out before we got to Mombasa and we'd be left to ourselves to find our way to Mombasa. And the train would never arrive on time if we did make it to Mombasa station. I got used to this. As for the Leyland, it is a prime example of the condition of vehicles operated by anyone in East Africa. I'm sure some members have visited East Africa and witnessed for themselves the vehicles on the road. The Kenyan Nation newspaper used to print each day the road death toll for the previous day and a running total so far for the year and each day it would be double figures and sometimes triple figures if a couple buses were involved. Defensive driving was a priority if I was on the road which was pretty much daily. The newspaper stopped printing the road toll when it got really scary as someone must have tipped them off that visitors could read the paper and invariably they'd be going on a safari which meant they would be transported by road. I've been told KR has new trains- If this is true, I suspect the Chinese would have something to do with the deal as they were involved in upgrading main roads when I came home. Next time
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roderick Smith

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #200692 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Old trucks
771023Su Melbourne (International) Airport. Refuelling truck (Commer? Karrier?) with a Cathay Pacific B707. (Roderick Smith)

Roderick

Attachments:

More
4 years 11 months ago #200697 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Old trucks
Probably badged as a Commer because Karrier was a name used on smaller trucks. They were all made by Commer of Rootes Group of Britain, before Chrysler took them over.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
4 years 11 months ago #200703 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Old trucks
Karrier Bantam I'd say ... Or maybe the Gamecock model.... Both looked similar

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
4 years 11 months ago #200704 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Old trucks
Bantam going by the radiator fill point, Gamecock filler in the actual grille
Also looks like 13" wheels, BIDSTBC
Dave

More
4 years 11 months ago #200717 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Old trucks
Thanks for the Karrier/Commer help. I'll do some more work: I have one at Alice Springs or Melbourne International. I had worried about a Karrier carrying sufficient fuel. However, the small size and wheels would have been important for getting under wings.

This one was posted yesterday. It is a crop from a railway photo posted to facebook Queensland Government Railways, Days Gone By, by Luke Cossins on behalf of the son of Les Scholl (who took the photo). Luke has asked for dating help.
The photo was taken at Boonah (Qld). I would guess mid 1920s for the vehicles (which weren't necessarily new when the photo was taken, but do set an oldest possible date).
Can we get precise make/model/year from the wonderful HCVC pool of knowledge?
Roderick.

Attachments:

More
4 years 11 months ago #200719 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Old trucks
The truck looks like the kind of stuff Jacksons in Brisbane still had in the 60s.....a early /mid 30 s Dodge?.........and in the pic with a fair bit of wear and tear........so I think the pic could be 1940s/ 1950s

More
4 years 11 months ago #200720 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Old trucks
Hey Rod.... If you go back through this post.... You've actually posted various angles of that Karrier already ;)

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
4 years 11 months ago #200724 by 180wannabe
Replied by 180wannabe on topic Old trucks
I think the car is a 1929 Plymouth.

More
4 years 11 months ago #200726 by 180wannabe
Replied by 180wannabe on topic Old trucks
Does the front few feet of the truck look like 1935 Bedford???

Time to create page: 0.556 seconds