Skip to main content

sleeper cab 1917-1950

More
3 years 1 month ago #219425 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic sleeper cab 1917-1950
Looks like an LPG tank.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 month ago #219436 by Dima Ukraine
Replied by Dima Ukraine on topic sleeper cab 1917-1950
Selden 1921. The compartment over the driver's seat has porthole and is equipped with a mattress and bed clothing; it makes very comfortable sleeping quarters for three. The seat itself will provide another "bedroom".
Attachments:

More
3 years 1 month ago #219582 by Dima Ukraine
MAN (Denmark)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul

More
3 years 1 month ago #219656 by Dima Ukraine
Corbitt (Kenneth Stegall)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
3 years 1 month ago #219657 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic sleeper cab 1917-1950
Not sure of the year
but looks like sleeping in a suit case
LOL

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachments/3-4-jpg.4436733/

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dima Ukraine

More
3 years 1 month ago #219680 by mikeg
Replied by mikeg on topic sleeper cab 1917-1950
Kurt Johannsen's version of a sleeper cab [attachment=21862]
Attachments:

More
3 years 1 month ago #219684 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic sleeper cab 1917-1950
That's the twin bunk model

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 1 month ago #219702 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic sleeper cab 1917-1950
Dima Ukraine, The picture of Kurt Johannsen and his "sleeper cab" may have been the first in Australia to have provision for sleeping. The beds up on the load were probably to save Kurt from sleeping in the sand under the truck where there were likely to be scorpions, snakes and all manner of nasty insects. Day time temperatures would reach over 50 degrees Celcius. Kurt invented self-tracking trailers using ex: World War two trucks and equipment. He had war surplus trucks with three trailers that followed in the wheel tracks of the truck, through the desert that had a sparce growth of spindly trees. He collected empty fuel drums dumped by the Army and sold them to dealers and fuel depots in the Cities to the south of Australia.
I met Kurt when he was an old man, at the opening of the Road Transport Hall of Fame in Alice Springs, some thirty-odd years ago. He and his son were trying to identify a truck that had six-wheel drive with a non-Ford suspension but a Ford diesel engine and a grille with "Ford" prominently displayed on it. I was able to tell them that the chassis was Thorneycroft Nubian. I wonder if the middle-aged son I met was the child shown in the photograph?

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
3 years 1 month ago #219710 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic sleeper cab 1917-1950
The Johannsen road trains normally had 3 drivers
1 driving, 1 offsider and one sleeping
They were driven 24 hours a day and the men swaped around

At least that is what was written on the forum many years ago by one of Kurts drivers

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 1 month ago #219715 by Dima Ukraine

Morris wrote: Dima Ukraine, The picture of Kurt Johannsen and his "sleeper cab" may have been the first in Australia to have provision for sleeping. The beds up on the load were probably to save Kurt from sleeping in the sand under the truck where there were likely to be scorpions, snakes and all manner of nasty insects. Day time temperatures would reach over 50 degrees Celcius. Kurt invented self-tracking trailers using ex: World War two trucks and equipment. He had war surplus trucks with three trailers that followed in the wheel tracks of the truck, through the desert that had a sparce growth of spindly trees. He collected empty fuel drums dumped by the Army and sold them to dealers and fuel depots in the Cities to the south of Australia.
I met Kurt when he was an old man, at the opening of the Road Transport Hall of Fame in Alice Springs, some thirty-odd years ago. He and his son were trying to identify a truck that had six-wheel drive with a non-Ford suspension but a Ford diesel engine and a grille with "Ford" prominently displayed on it. I was able to tell them that the chassis was Thorneycroft Nubian. I wonder if the middle-aged son I met was the child shown in the photograph?

Thank you very much for this excursion into history. It is important for my research. But I still hope that the first sleeper cab trucks may have been American and British trucks of the mid thirties, with Australian cabs.
Note the fourth minute of the film!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, eerfree, PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.597 seconds