Skip to main content

Atkinson buses?

More
9 years 6 days ago #157557 by Dave_64
Atkinson buses? was created by Dave_64
One for Rod Smith.

Just happened to be flicking around the channels on the idiot box and came across something on NTIV re the 50th anniversary of the so called "freedom ride", the coach run to Moree to intergrate the arterial baths.

I could be wrong, and I didn't have the program set to record, but I'll swear I saw one of the coaches (buses) with the big "A" in the chrome circle pictured! Knew of many makes back in the early days, just hadn't come across the Atkinson bus. Why not, anyway? Just about all other pommy manufacturers had put out bus chassis at one stage or another.

Also, asked this next question before but never received an answer. Back in the early seventies, was a bloke who had a car carrier built on a Leyland bus chassis, sat extremely low to the ground, reckoned it may have had the engine laying on it's side. Used to carry, I think it was two decks of cars, plus one deck on the close coupled trailer. Anyone remember it? Ran up and down the Hume for years.

I always thought he was a braver man than I'd ever be, sitting so close to the road and very little protection in front of you. Was an interesting jigger. About all I can remember of the driver was he kept to himself a bit, this was in the days pre-CB radios. Wasn't one of those 'pat me on the back and I'll tell you how good I am' type of blokes.

This would have been in the days of Arnold's Transport having quite a slice of the car carrying . See one of their trucks about as often as a Vaughn's Transport, and about as steady!

Cheers, Dave 64

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 days ago #157558 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: Atkinson buses?
Dave, can't help with the Big A Bus/coach...

But I think this might be the car carrier your talking about..

[IMG

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
9 years 6 days ago - 9 years 6 days ago #157559 by BigAl
Replied by BigAl on topic Re: Atkinson buses?
Dave 64,

Your eyes did not play tricks, there were a few Atkinson chassis fitted with bus bodies. Open to correction but I believe the biggest operator of the big A may have been H T Saint of Peakhurst NSW, who at that time was also a body builder under the name of "Coachmaster"

I googled freedom ride and found this photo which shows a coachmaster bodied Atkinson and its in very similar livery to that of Saint

www.kooriweb.org/foley/images/history/19...eedom/bowraville.jpg
Last edit: 9 years 6 days ago by BigAl.

More
9 years 6 days ago #157560 by Beaver
Replied by Beaver on topic Re: Atkinson buses?

[/URL]

That was a Leyland Leopard bus chassis, which featured a horizontal O.680 underfloor engine.

There were quite a few Atki bus chassis in Sydney. Had the misfortune of driving one for a while, horrid thing (although its Gardener donk sounded nice, stopping wasn't one of its good points). The best trip I had in it was down to Darling Harbour and putting it on a ship to Tonga in 1980.

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

More
9 years 5 days ago #157561 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Atkinson buses?
Was that a mid engine one Beaver ?

More
9 years 5 days ago #157562 by Beaver
Replied by Beaver on topic Re: Atkinson buses?
Yes Pete

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

More
9 years 5 days ago #157563 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Re: Atkinson buses?
Well, there you go! You only have to ask!

For the life of me I couldn't remember what the Leyland car carrier had on the front. Came back instantly, 'U F O'. I can't quite make it out, but just below the near side windscreen (that's passenger side for people who have never ridden a horse! Or a pushbike!), looks like a Leyland badge? Or Leopard?

Thanks guys, that Atkinson bus that Beaver said was mid-engined, Gardner on her side a-la-horizontal Leyland/AEC???

9 years 5 days ago - 9 years 5 days ago #157564 by
Replied by on topic Re: Atkinson buses?

...jeeez .. they must've driven the Lexcens across from GMH to Toyota to have the bloody badges fitted !! :o :o

More
9 years 5 days ago #157565 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: Atkinson buses?

...jeeez .. they must've driven the Lexcens across from GMH to Toyota to have the bloody badges fitted !! :o :o

Don't forget the "Apollo" badges either Detective..........

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
9 years 5 days ago #157566 by Thunder Down Under
Used to see that car-carrier a lot on the Hume in the 70's. Be buggered if you would get me in the cab. :o

TDU

Time to create page: 0.507 seconds