Skip to main content

Atkinson buses?

More
8 years 11 months ago #157567 by Wilweld
Replied by Wilweld on topic Re: Atkinson buses?
I seem to remember a bloke had something like the UFO running around Sydney a few years back set up to carry containers. With the cab tucked under the front he could carry a 40' box as a rigid.

But, IDSTBC...

Grant.

'79 F100- 302c 4spd&&'81 F350- Isuzu 6BB1&&Chamberlain Industrial MK11  (6G)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #157568 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: Atkinson buses?

I seem to remember a bloke had something like the UFO running around Sydney a few years back set up to carry containers. With the cab tucked under the front he could carry a 40' box as a rigid.

But, IDSTBC...

Grant.

I remember that too Grant.....

I seem to remember talk of It on here a few years ago. But No pictures..(& a quick search hasn't revealed anything)

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
8 years 11 months ago #157569 by indianman
Replied by indianman on topic Re: Atkinson buses?

Well, there you go! You only have to ask!

For the life of me I couldn't remember what the Leyland car carrier had on the front. Came back instantly, 'U F O'. I can't quite make it out, but just below the near side windscreen (that's passenger side for people who have never ridden a horse! Or a pushbike!), looks like a Leyland badge? Or Leopard?

Thanks guys, that Atkinson bus that Beaver said was mid-engined, Gardner on her side a-la-horizontal Leyland/AEC???

Dave I think you will find it is a leopard badge same as on the drivers ( or off ) side

Jon

More
8 years 11 months ago #157570 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: Atkinson buses?
There was more than one car carrier like that and at least one had a bus body put back on it. Can't remember where I read it but might come back to me.

8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #157571 by
Replied by on topic Re: Atkinson buses?
...that's a good idea Mammoth .. put the freight on top while the passengers duck their heads... 8-) 8-) :-/

More
8 years 11 months ago #157572 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Re: Atkinson buses?
and here I was thinking the bottom level was for the beer! Oh Well (sigh) :D

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
8 years 11 months ago #157573 by theroadbossman
Replied by theroadbossman on topic Re: Atkinson buses?
In very early days (my early days that is), that UFO delivered Toyo's to what was then Ken Sams Toyota in Chullora. Us blokes in the Hino service area used to giggle every time stalk got out of it - he was about 9'3" tall !!! Every few months they made someone else do penance by driving it. At smoko, we used to announce here comes "useless *ucking 'orrible"

Austral Tourmaster with 6V92T mechanical

More
8 years 11 months ago #157574 by xspanrman
Replied by xspanrman on topic Re: Atkinson buses?
Just found a story about the owner /builder of the UFO (Under Floor Operator) John Baker. In 1965 UFO was built from a ex London bus which had a Leyland 600 horizontal engine under the floor. With a cab height of 54 inches John was capable of loading 10 cars.
UFO was on the road for 20 years working for Shields Transport, Arnolds Transport and TDG. John later worked a more conventional car carrier for TDG, an International T2670
John was inducted to the Shell Wall of Fame in 2002.

Wilweld and Hayseed
A company with a name like Sandovan or Sandolyn near Silverwater in Sydney also had a vehicle with the drivers cab located under the floor. It was a tilt tray , I think based on a 8 wheeler UD?. When going up steep driveways the driver had to raise the tilt tray then the cab could also be raised or pivoted for more ground clearance.
I had a look inside the cab about 20 years ago. The drivers position was similar to a Formula 1 race car, the most ergonomically incorrect drivers workplace that I have ever seen. The gearstick hung down from the roof and I think the clutch pedal was mounted horizontally to the cab wall beside the drivers left leg.
I remember thinking that I hope my employer never buys one of these trucks.

More
8 years 11 months ago #157575 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: Atkinson buses?

Wilweld and Hayseed
A company with a name like Sandovan or Sandolyn near Silverwater in Sydney also had a vehicle with the drivers cab located under the floor. It was a tilt tray , I think based on a 8 wheeler UD?. When going up steep driveways the driver had to raise the tilt tray then the cab could also be raised or pivoted for more ground clearance.
I had a look inside the cab about 20 years ago. The drivers position was similar to a Formula 1 race car, the most ergonomically incorrect drivers workplace that I have ever seen. The gearstick hung down from the roof and I think the clutch pedal was mounted horizontally to the cab wall beside the drivers left leg.
I remember thinking that I hope my employer never buys one of these trucks.

That's It spannerman..I remember the gear lever hanging out of the roof..
I think It might have started life as a crane carrier..As (from memory) sandelon were a crane company..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
7 years 11 months ago #169616 by Beaver
Replied by Beaver on topic Re: Atkinson buses?
I drove for a bus company in the late 70s that had one of those Atkinsons. Powered by Gardener and stopped by Morris Minor. Scary stuff. The last trip I did in it was down to Darling Harbour to go on a boat to Tonga. Hope they don't have any hills there.

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

Time to create page: 0.605 seconds