Skip to main content

Walter Wright's Heavy Haulage

More
7 years 2 months ago #179772 by Mrsmackpaul
come across this photo on silly FB thing tonight looks like one of these KW trucks to me

what sez you lot

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #179783 by oldgmc
Yeah but which way is it going

Old trucks will make you poor but not unhappy

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #179787 by busman
Wow that looks photoshopped

84 Austral Tourmaster with 6V92 and now 7 speed Eaton-Fuller, converted to motorhome "Vanishing Point" after a favourite American movie.
3 Kw solar 800 Ah Lithium house battery pack, all engine cooling done by the sun. Water injection for hot days and hill climbs.
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by busman.

More
7 years 2 months ago #179798 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Walter Wright's Heavy Haulage
The guy on the front truck (just out of photo) is thinking "This load isn't as heavy as I thought it was"

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
7 years 2 months ago #179801 by rex
Replied by rex on topic Walter Wright's Heavy Haulage
Gentlemen
The photo is the real thing. Trailer is a self propelled Goldhofer no need for a front Truck or a rear one for that matter.

Sorry for not coming back with an answer on why the Kenworth / Dart's did not like turning corners. From memory the Clark rear axles had a problem with the diff centre so they locked them permanently.

Rex

Making a small effort to save the history of road transport in Australia by being in front of Simms
The following user(s) said Thank You: Southbound

More
7 years 2 months ago #179804 by Mrsmackpaul
Rex I was begining to think I had upset you with some anti Volvo remark or something

Thanks for the reply though still reckon these were pretty cool looking jiggers

Paul

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
7 years 2 months ago #179806 by BillyP
.Regarding the bit about the Clark axle trucks not wanting to steer into corners...............
While in my younger days at BM & G prospect quarry...........one of the Inter R210 s was trialed with a
Clark planetary drive axle assembly..........it did suffer with wanting to go straight ahead
when on a hard pull....
The Clark came with a Detroit Locker diff center fitted as standard...........
Now. a locker does have this characteristic ,( as i found out in one of my Troopies )
when pulling , the diff is virtually turned into a solid axle. ...............
On a corner ,the faster wheel (outside ) ratchets ahead.....but with heavy loading , the inner wheel will slip.
keeping it virtually ...again ... a solid like drive...enough to make steering non responsive..........
Considering the weight that was being moved............
Could that have been the case with those trucks...?????????
....................................Billy....................................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.

More
7 years 2 months ago #179809 by rex
Replied by rex on topic Walter Wright's Heavy Haulage
Good Morning Paul
I enjoy the anti Volvo remarks Just me being forgetful and not coming back with an answer, old age I guess.

Hello Bill
The answer you have given regarding the Clark rear axles is more likely correct given my information was not all that reliable.

Rex

Making a small effort to save the history of road transport in Australia by being in front of Simms
The following user(s) said Thank You: Southbound

More
7 years 2 months ago #179813 by Mrsmackpaul
Rex you seem to know a lot more about the photo than the rest of us do
Do you have any idea how recent the photo is like 12 months old 10 years old or older maybe

Paul

More
7 years 2 months ago #179825 by Mrsmackpaul

BillyP wrote: .Regarding the bit about the Clark axle trucks not wanting to steer into corners...............
While in my younger days at BM & G prospect quarry...........one of the Inter R210 s was trialed with a
Clark planetary drive axle assembly..........it did suffer with wanting to go straight ahead
when on a hard pull....
The Clark came with a Detroit Locker diff center fitted as standard...........
Now. a locker does have this characteristic ,( as i found out in one of my Troopies )
when pulling , the diff is virtually turned into a solid axle. ...............
On a corner ,the faster wheel (outside ) ratchets ahead.....but with heavy loading , the inner wheel will slip.
keeping it virtually ...again ... a solid like drive...enough to make steering non responsive..........
Considering the weight that was being moved............
Could that have been the case with those trucks...?????????
....................................Billy....................................

I just did some googling and came across some Clark bogie drive info and pictures

Well this all means nothing at all as I am sure there is hundreds of different models but I doubt many of us have ever had anything to do with Clark bogie drives so thought I would share just for interest

Paul

Time to create page: 0.601 seconds