Skip to main content

Fodens in NSW

More
2 years 10 months ago #222319 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Fodens in NSW
And how many of the 8 wheeler versions did Australian Blue Metal run? Used to see them all over the Sydney metro area, especially with those long low sided bodies!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 10 months ago #222322 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Fodens in NSW
Mainline Transport on Razorback NSW. Styles and ABM outside the old Parramatta bowling club on Pitt st.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, overlander, PaulFH, roKWiz

More
2 years 10 months ago #222325 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Fodens in NSW
I used to load an old Foden with clay from the clay pit behind the Kemps Creek Bowling Club. It had a high sided body on the back and I always filled the bloody thing as much as I could. It never seemed to go any faster loaded or empty. Looked like 35mph was about it but it kept going week in week out when some of the D Custom cab Fords would be far quicker but had their share of issues for reliability.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #222328 by Eightpot
Replied by Eightpot on topic Fodens in NSW
What may not be readily apparent is that both the ERF and the Foden pictured made use of a proprietary cab made by Motor Panels in Coventry. The only real difference was that the radiator panels were made by the vehicle manufacturers. The cabs were also used by Guy and on the Scammell Crusaders.

Don't know what happened, but this post refers to posting 222248 by xspanrman at the top of page 3.
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by Eightpot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 10 months ago #222330 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Fodens in NSW
Err, yes ERF always bought in cabs (Jennings, Willenhall, then Motor Panels) whereas Foden built theirs in house until much later (late 70's/80's ?). The S20 cabs pictured were steel frame for export with tropical roof, 'Sundyne" tinted screens but were timber framed for the home market. The S21 were the distinct fibreglass with wrap round windscreens.
Motor Panels made complete cabs for other makes as well as the panels to differentiate the manufacturer style.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 10 months ago #222334 by overlander
Replied by overlander on topic Fodens in NSW
Overnite- I have 7 spec sheets for E R F trucks and all have the same optional equipment paragraph, same for the cab as well. Spec sheets are for-
64 Cu 235 MW [4x2 Cummins 235] @ $20,608
64 G X B 180 MW [4x2 Gardner 6 LXB] @ $24,864
66 G X B 180 MW [6x4 Gardner 6 LXB] @ $24,864
66 Cu HE 250 MW [6x4 Cummins 250] @ $27,552
68 GM 6V-53 MW {8x2 Detroit 6V53] @ $26,264
68 G X B HE 180 MW [8x4 Gardner 6 LXB] @ $26,432
68 Cu HE 250 MW [8x4 Cummins 250] @ $28,112
I don't reckon I ever saw an E R F with a Detroit engine, well, not here in South Australia- I don't reckon there was an agent here for E R F.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, xspanrman

More
2 years 10 months ago #222377 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Fodens in NSW
They tried a Motor Panels cab in the S40 in mid 60's but returned to their own build

More
2 years 10 months ago #222385 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Fodens in NSW
No ones mentioned the Aboods who were unofficial Foden agents in NSW for many years after Fodens pulled out..........Incidentally ,another Foden in NSW story,E R Foden owned a property in central NSW,according to the late Bobby Addison,him and his old man were hired as caretakers....Ive forgotten the rest of the story,but most of addisons stories had at least a grain of truth in them........a by the way......remember Refrigerated Roadways?...Addisons stepson started it ,and they sold out to TNT about a month before the dutch post office took over TNT.....Roadways was shut down shortly after.

More
2 years 10 months ago #222387 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Fodens in NSW
I grew up about 5 kilometres from Aboods yard in Northmead NSW.

More
2 years 10 months ago #222410 by xspanrman
Replied by xspanrman on topic Fodens in NSW
NMP's Fodens at Bombo Quarry
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, V8Ian

Time to create page: 0.614 seconds