Skip to main content

1966 C1600 transmission

More
6 years 10 months ago #182858 by xspanrman
Replied by xspanrman on topic 1966 C1600 transmission
#182622 Aaron S
The fuel return line should either go from the top of number 6 injector to the fuel tank or up to a CAV reservoir (slighly larger than a matchbox) that is part of the cold start system. The resevoir was fed from the fuel return line that connected the top of the 6 injectors,
a small amount of fuel was kept in the reservoir and a fuel line back to the heater/ glow plug that is located in the inlet manifold. The 3rd fuel line from the reservoir went back to the fuel tank. Your truck may or not have this fitted.
With the engine sucking air in the fuel line from experience is is usually the fuel line from the tank to lift pump. even fuel lines that look OK suck air and nylon plastic ones are the worst.
Also check that there isn't a glass bowl water trap (connected to the supply line) inside the chassis rail.
Intermittant faults are always the hardest to rectify.
Good luck,
Ray

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #182860 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic 1966 C1600 transmission
Spaanamans right about the glass bowl.They re good on compressors,generators or tractors,but on a road vehicle,they can break without warning,leaving you stuck.They often break when you try to tighten them to eliminate leaks.Its best to replace them with a spin on combined filter/water trap.

More
6 years 10 months ago #182882 by AaronS
Replied by AaronS on topic 1966 C1600 transmission
Thanks

Spaanaman. I have a cold start system. Very effective even at sub zero temps. The hose you mention goes nowhere. To the road.

I am going to move the line that feeds fuel back to 2nd filter and put good start hose to tank. Wish me luck.

More
6 years 10 months ago #183089 by AaronS
Hi again all

Looking at the 630A with Eaton 253 gearbox and perk 6354 engine on Gumtree.

Just realised that because it is a cab over there are linkages between the shift stick and box. How do i convert it to so the stick comes from the top and fits into the C1600?

Thanks
A

More
6 years 10 months ago #183090 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic 1966 C1600 transmission
Aaron, just Swap the remote tower & your Gear stick tower over..4 studs in the top cover.

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #183091 by AaronS
That simple? Take a T98 stick and tower and bolt onto the Eaton T253. Finally, something simple. Thanks hayseed.

I dont suppose the brake band off the T98 will just saw as well?
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by AaronS.

More
6 years 10 months ago #183112 by AaronS
Update on fuel issue.

Looked at the manual online for the injector pump to see how it was setup. The outlet of the injector pump originally ran back into a second filter so air had no where to go. I put the injector pump outlet hose back into the first filter so now the fuel circulates between the first, second filter and the injector pump. The first filter has the banjo on it that flows through the injectors to cool and lubricate and then into the CAV primer. The hose emptied onto the road, when anything came through at all. The fuel flowing through this was minimal. I took off the banjo, opened up the hole to let more fuel through and then put the outlet from the CAV primer canister into the tank.

Did three runs to the sheep sales last night (a whopping total of 300 km) and she did not miss a beat. I hope I have solved this issue now. Not only can air get back to the tank but there is plenty of fuel to cool and lubricate the injectors. How they had no seized is beyond me. Thanks everyone for your tips and comments.

More
6 years 10 months ago #183158 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic 1966 C1600 transmission
Good that your fuel problems are solved.The lines connected to the tops of the injectors dont have anything to do with lubrication,the high pressure fuel does that.The top lines collect the leakage from the injectors and run it back into the filter,or tank.In the early Perkins motors the bleed off fuel was drained onto the ground.Injectors seize from water in the fuel,or from using power kero as fuel (not available any more).

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #183160 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic 1966 C1600 transmission
The return line to the second filter sounds like the Ford set up.
It has a valve in the banjo bolt at the filter with a line running back to the tank. Excess fuel and air is bleed off.
Will take a better look when next near the Truck.
Cheers Steve
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by Blackduck59.

More
6 years 10 months ago #183161 by AaronS
Thanks John

Interesting. Hence why there was so little diesel going back to tank.

Steve

The outlet was in the 1st filter so there was nowhere for anything to go.

Anyway, changed gearbox oil and adjusted clutch and took her for a plod. Went great. Very happy with the improvements.

Time to create page: 0.589 seconds