Skip to main content

Nubley Brothers Transport. Fairy Meadow

More
6 years 7 months ago #185663 by xspanrman
Nubley Brothers operated on the corner of the Princes Hwy and Cabbage Tree Lane Fairy Meadow NSW specializing in coke transport. They also had a public weighbridge at this site. It was a great place for me as a 15 year old with a camera and a huge interest in trucks to visit. Here is a couple of Nubley's trucks.
International R190 repowered with a Scania engine.

Albion Reiver

F88 Volvo which was featured in a full page ad in Truck and bus magazine
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: craig308, Southbound

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #185665 by xspanrman
Here is a couple more
The only Nubley truck that I ever saw that had a flat top trailer. The rest were tippers. This International and trailer had gates set up for coke cartage, possibly interstate.

F88 Volvo. Nubley also had a couple of later model G Series Volvos on trailer work and a 6x2 rigid tipper with factory fitted lift up rear axle..

The Scania powered R190 was later fitted with a V8 Perkins and Roadranger gearbox. A pusher axle and step fuel tanks were fitted. The hydraulic tank was now located behind the cab.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge, PaulFH, Southbound

More
6 years 7 months ago #185667 by asw120
I'm curious how they would cart coke with that C-line with gates. Bagged?

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
6 years 7 months ago #185673 by olddon
they used gates with either chain wire or plywood to line the inside of the gates.
Cheers Don
The following user(s) said Thank You: asw120

More
6 years 7 months ago #185674 by olddon
I forgot to mention that when you got to the other end,it was a banjo job to unload it.I must have always got there at the wrong time as there was never anybody to give you a hand !! Cheers Don

More
6 years 7 months ago #185676 by xspanrman

asw120 wrote: I'm curious how they would cart coke with that C-line with gates. Bagged?

Jarrod.

In the 50's 60's and early 70's most of the coke that went interstate from Corrimal or Coalcliff cokeworks went on flat top trailers (as a back load) with gates that had mesh or chicken wire attached. Sometimes the coke was still very hot and the timber floor would catch fire.

This is a photo of Manson's Interstate Transport Kenworth from Bunyip Victoria with a load of coke waiting to be weighed at Nubley's.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge, PaulFH, Southbound

More
6 years 7 months ago #185681 by asw120
Thanks Don and Spanner.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
6 years 7 months ago #185682 by Lang
Jarrod

That improvisation was common in those days. I once carted a load of bulk wheat from near Dubbo on a flat top. Stood ply up against the gates and put the curtains on the inside. Hell of a job to unload it by prising up the back ply and curtain but finishing off with three blokes with shovels and a broom.

My mind says it was pretty full but I reckon 12 ton of wheat on a 37 foot single axle trailer would be nowhere near the top of the gates. Maybe the cockies could refresh my memory?

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: asw120

More
6 years 7 months ago #185684 by Dodgeanddetroit
Hello Lang
About 750 kg wheat per cubic metre from memory . It does depend a bit if it it's good wheat or low weight feed wheat

A very big load if it was any where near full
D&D

More
6 years 7 months ago #185686 by Oilman
They must have been really keen to keep that R190 on the road with 2 repowers!

1975 Atkinson, 180HP 6LXB Gardner, RTO910, 34000lb Rockwell on camelback

Time to create page: 0.637 seconds