Skip to main content

Overlander's old Photos

More
6 years 6 months ago #188068 by overlander
Replied by overlander on topic Overlander's old Photos
Greetings. Most of the stock-crate photos were taken at West Wylong where Nifty and myself holed up for a few days in Dad's Bedford camper van which had a fridge but couldn't keep up with consumption rates so we had to buy an esky and then ice from the servo to chill the barley sodas. Nifty liked the Tooheys 'Kegs'- a stubbie shaped like a beer keg so if any of yous can remember them, that's the year most were taken- late 70's, '77 or '78 I'd reckon. Some truck drivers thought we were nuts but all the same pleased that we asked to take a photo of the truck they were driving. Enough chat, stay tuned.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #188070 by Oilman
Replied by Oilman on topic Overlander's old Photos
I think walk on walk off were about the worst freight (perhaps not the worst but definitely not the best). Give me a tipper any day - loaded with a machine and pull a couple of handles to unload it. Hardest job is throwing a tarp over it. Fuel tankers aren't bad either. The Don Watson Atkinson's are definitely different. The 1st one is a Mark III and the 2nd one is Mark II (probably with a GM - twin aircleaners).

1975 Atkinson, 180HP 6LXB Gardner, RTO910, 34000lb Rockwell on camelback
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Oilman.

More
6 years 6 months ago #188077 by Swanny
Replied by Swanny on topic Overlander's old Photos
Them Tooheys KB Kegs where the best stubbies ever invented ,a man could pore them down just like drinking out of a glass, not like an ordinary stubbie with the narrow neck were a man swallowed he got a gut full of gas.An old mate of mine and me could Finish off a case in no time flat in them days LOL :woohoo: :woohoo:

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #188085 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Overlander's old Photos
Hey Swanny, Here's one I have that's still unopened & full of Beer..

PS: it's actually Tooths Not Tooheys..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by hayseed. Reason: PS:

More
6 years 6 months ago #188086 by tim
Replied by tim on topic Overlander's old Photos
Thanks must go to Overlander & Werkhorse for the amazing amount of photo's that they have worked there way thru to present. As an older bloke I can relate to many of them but the Alltrans tipper made my day as an ex Alltrans subbie's driver.
Hayseed, I dunno where I've been hiding but I'd never seen (or heard of) the "KEG Stubbies. Thanks for putting it up, at least I know what they looked like. How long were they available ?
Once again many many thanks to those who have contributed to the forum & our education.
Cheers Tim :) ;) B)

1989 FORD F350 Lariat Crewcab Dually
The following user(s) said Thank You: werkhorse

More
6 years 6 months ago #188090 by Bluey60
Replied by Bluey60 on topic Overlander's old Photos
talk about bringing back memories we had some strange brews sent up when
we had a brewery strike in the late seventies
Ahh KB kegs from what I remember they needed a big neck so you could throw it
down fast preferably get it down before you tasted it Hayseed leave it unopened
not worth taking the top off I can feel a XXXX coming on

Bluey

More
6 years 6 months ago #188108 by overlander
Replied by overlander on topic Overlander's old Photos
Greetings. Nifty usually managed to knock back 2 to my 1 of bog standard stubbies and was getting stuck into them one evening when all of a sudden he exited the van and started hurling cats- must have had some dodgy fodder from the servo he reckoned. Didn't slow him down though. We moved on when the double bubble started paying us too much attention a few sessions later and headed to Newcastle to check to coal tippers. Next time

More
6 years 6 months ago #188110 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Overlander's old Photos
Can definitely relate to that. Would have had to have been the dodgy tucker at the greasy spoon!

More
6 years 6 months ago #188130 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Overlander's old Photos

Bluey60 wrote: Hayseed leave it unopened

Bluey

I intend to Bluey, I have quite an extensive collection of K B stuff....

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
6 years 6 months ago #188211 by Swanny
Replied by Swanny on topic Overlander's old Photos
Oh my god Hayseed that keg looked just like the one i had on a shelf in my workshop only mine was growing a mushroomy fungus in the beer must have got air in the bottle .Hope your one dosn't suffer the same demise mine did ,Left it as long as i could to see how much it grew in the bottle BUT one night after a few good cold ones decided to throw it out :evil: :whistle:

Time to create page: 1.017 seconds