Skip to main content

Overlander's old Photos

More
4 years 5 months ago #204242 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Overlander's old Photos
Morris, I know we sometimes get sidetracked from the original topic, there was a bit of a write up not all that long ago about AEC V8’s here on this forum. General consensus was that they were not a raging success. Going back a few years as well. Something makes me recall that the engines were either designed, or at least tried as a Pommy tank power plant. Also, wouldn’t bet the farm on this, but apparently Ansett-Pioneer had one as a trial unit but also proved unreliable. This was back in the days of V6 Deutz engines before going almost exclusively GM power. I’m only going on what I have read over the years, and information is only as good as the bloke supplying it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago #204244 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Overlander's old Photos
There were some B models sold new with 871 in them and the quad box
Dunno how many were sold

Otways had buses that were half freight half bus in the ,ate 70's early 80's
They were a special built jigger

Sorry dont know much more

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fred in Geelong

More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #204252 by Southbound
Replied by Southbound on topic Overlander's old Photos
There was an R700 for sale on this forum 8? years ago that had an 8V92 in it. IIRC it was in WA, had rust in the rails and $10K. Why do I remember? I considered buying it...

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Southbound.

More
4 years 5 months ago #204259 by overlander
Replied by overlander on topic Overlander's old Photos
Fred that R model of Matty Harkin's I'm pretty sure started life in Tasmania and was bought by a bloke here in SA whom I used to work with at DETCO and he put an 8v92T in it. The truck did about 800k without the engine being opened as it was driven by this fella's brother who before the R model had an F model with an 8v92T in it. I'm pretty sure when the truck was sold it went to WA and then Matty Harkin got hold of it. Maybe it had a few more owners before Matty but I'm not sure. You can recognize the engine from the DDEC being mounted on a plate above the fuel pump so access to the fuel pump was made easier and I'm pretty sure the engine had chrome rocker covers. You can see it on Matty's FB page. When the truck was sold out of SA it didn't have ONE external oil leak. Never did get a photo of that one but I was working abroad from 81- 05.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fred in Geelong

More
4 years 5 months ago #204263 by PaulFH
Attachments:

More
4 years 5 months ago #204264 by PaulFH
Attachments:

More
4 years 5 months ago #204265 by PaulFH
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul, overlander, asw120

More
4 years 5 months ago #204305 by Fred in Geelong
Thanks mate. I'll havta ask Matty just where he got it from. He did say once, but l forget most things. By the way, you've got a rip snorta collection of piccies!!!!

More
4 years 5 months ago #204323 by 600Dodge
Replied by 600Dodge on topic Overlander's old Photos

Southbound wrote: There was an R700 for sale on this forum 8? years ago that had an 8V92 in it. IIRC it was in WA, had rust in the rails and $10K. Why do I remember? I considered buying it...

That one was originally an 8/71, he couldn't sell it at 10, ended up taking 6 for it, the rust in the rails wasn't even bad. The young bloke who bought it was going to do some convoy replica thing with it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fred in Geelong, Southbound

More
4 years 5 months ago #204389 by Fred in Geelong
Thanks mate. Someone put some piccies up of a black Rubber Duck and tanker replica that's s'posedly in Aussie, but that's about all l know about that one!!

Time to create page: 0.749 seconds