Skip to main content

Overlander's old Photos

More
2 years 6 months ago #226204 by PaulFH
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: overlander, Southbound, V8Ian, oliver1950, Tassie Dan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #226205 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Overlander's old Photos
Paul or maybe Peter himself,

Did Peter just take photos of "big" trucks? There does not seem to be much on the bread and butter Inters, Dodges, Commers, Bedfords etc. I would guess well into the 70's these would have made up at least half the semi-trailer fleet particularly with the regional carriers.

Lang
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, Southbound

More
2 years 6 months ago #226210 by overlander
Replied by overlander on topic Overlander's old Photos
Lang, In the early '70's my only income to buy and have films processed was from seasonal school holiday work, washing cars and scabbing through the bins on the main street of Nuri to find discarded soft drink bottles to cash in at the chippie that features in quite a few of my photos so I did get selective with what trucks I took photos of and yes mostly 'big' trucks although I didn't discriminate between American or European. A lot of my early 'work' is not worth posting- enthusiasm to take the photo overrides the skill set of knowing how to take a better photo. Sure there were heaps of tipper operators in the Barossa with Butterbox Accos- Linke's, Milton had a Commer knocker, Kuchel had a couple of Inters, Kennedy had F86 Volvos but the big mobs like Hahn's tankers, Booth's, Sheppards got the edge over the smaller operators when I got the opportunity to get photos. I rest my case.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Lang, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, Southbound, Brocky45, Swanny

More
2 years 6 months ago #226211 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Overlander's old Photos
Thanks Peter you have possibly the best collection of that period in Australia and I look forward to every post. No criticism at all - we owe you for the records. Just wondering if you had some more of the poverty pack operators.

The cost of colour film both print and slide back then lost us a vast amount of history even from the fact you never took a "just in case" shot like you might do with black and white.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, Southbound, Brocky45

More
2 years 6 months ago #226217 by PaulFH
Replied by PaulFH on topic Overlander's old Photos
Thanks for asking the question LANG, wondered the same thing.
BROCKY, Overlander mentioned the International Truck in today's
post is probably the one you asked about - the Donald Duck model.
Not sure how many came to Aussie, but think Knights Fuel Haulage
at Kilmore had some. Also a Bendigo carrier, say about 1978.
Mostly white one advertised about 2 years ago as a restorer, $10K.
Sure were compact for a normal control truck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brocky45

More
2 years 6 months ago #226219 by overlander
Replied by overlander on topic Overlander's old Photos
Greetings. I was reluctant to have the Jupiter photos posted but the Deutz marque has caused some interest and I noticed that the dual headlights on the blurred photo differ from the usual factory single headlight fitment- maybe someone will know if dual headlights were fitted from factory. They are the last of my Deutz photos. The 8160FC M A N has been posted before- fella by the name of Barnes had that. The Mannum Haulage Transtar 400 was treat to see- never did get to take many photos of that model- the photo taken in Nuri main street maybe the same truck but I can't make out the definition of the roo bar on the photo with the bloke getting in the cab to confirm, even with the mag glass. Could never pass up the opportunity to take a photo of Barry Sky's R model- Jan 1973 I had that roll developed. The Diamond was a Southern Super Haulage and I reckon the Kenworth stock crate maybe Lewington's but I wouldn't put money on it. next time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, Brocky45

More
2 years 6 months ago #226231 by xspanrman
Replied by xspanrman on topic Overlander's old Photos
Stan Robinson's Southern Super Haulage Diamond Reo. 3rd and 4th photo from the Robinson family.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Lang, Mrsmackpaul, overlander, PaulFH, oliver1950, Tassie Dan

More
2 years 6 months ago #226237 by Brocky45
Replied by Brocky45 on topic Overlander's old Photos
You folks may have had quite a few of the short nosed "Donald Duck" IH 400's Down Under?? In reviewing my 2015 pictures of our trip I found two!!
The first is in the parade at Alice Springs NT and the second is is Archie Baines boneyard in VIC.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, overlander, PaulFH, oliver1950

More
2 years 6 months ago #226239 by 180wannabe
Replied by 180wannabe on topic Overlander's old Photos
A cousin of mine had a Cummins powered bogie drive Transtar 400.

He'd always smile and say "it's a man's truck", his reasoning being the lighter socket on the dash was marked "CIGAR LIGHTER" as opposed to the much more common label of "CIGARETTE LIGHTER" on most other vehicles.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 6 months ago #226244 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Overlander's old Photos

Greetings. I was reluctant to have the Jupiter photos posted but the Deutz marque has caused some interest and I noticed that the dual headlights on the blurred photo differ from the usual factory single headlight fitment- maybe someone will know if dual headlights were fitted from factory. They are the last of my Deutz photos. The 8160FC M A N has been posted before- fella by the name of Barnes had that. The Mannum Haulage Transtar 400 was treat to see- never did get to take many photos of that model- the photo taken in Nuri main street maybe the same truck but I can't make out the definition of the roo bar on the photo with the bloke getting in the cab to confirm, even with the mag glass. Could never pass up the opportunity to take a photo of Barry Sky's R model- Jan 1973 I had that roll developed. The Diamond was a Southern Super Haulage and I reckon the Kenworth stock crate maybe Lewington's but I wouldn't put money on it. next time.

The Deutz came with duel headlights from the factory for a while, pretty sure it was only a Australian thing, the mirrors aslso had Deutz stamped in them vertically and the mirrors were made in Australia

If I manage to get home this weekend I'll share some old Deutz
advertisements showing this

As usual, great stuff and thanks for sharing

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, overlander, PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.546 seconds