Skip to main content

Blue Metal & Gravel /Pozzolanic / Aztec ...

• BillyP
  • Topic Author
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #189450 by BillyP
.I am trying to fill a memory gap...............
.When the Mascot runway was extended into Botany Bay. BMG delivered the rocks from Prospect Quarry...
At the time I did a stint in the workshop on the quarry gear on the midnight shift........
I think it was after this ,that I noticed some different trucks popping up in the gravel truck parking areas.......some thing
that I had not seen before...........
These were powder tankers...(.aerated, not the old screw type)...as I recall....
The tanks were white with Pozzolanic signage and the prime movers were a darkish blue.......nothing like BMG colors at all.........
This , I think, was the start of Aztec........But I am only guessing......
What I am interested in, is, where did these trucks come from, who did they belong to previously......assuming that BMG had bought them ,
or the company, or both.................
...............................Billy............................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by BillyP.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #189452 by Dave_64
Billy P, not really the specific answer to what you asked, but didn't a few different mobs get a guernsey carting into that bay extension? Seems I recall seeing Pioneer's trucks also carting in day and night, but that may have been bringing in the road base for the finished tarmac??

More
6 years 4 months ago #189453 by xspanrman
Dave 64
Pioneer was involved with the runway extension carting large boulders from Barrack Point, south of Wollongong to Mascot.
The trucks involved had barn type doors on the tippers. They ran bonneted Whites and bonneted Kenworths bogie drive rigids with single tyred pusher axles and 2 axle dog trailers. There was a lot of subbie's also on that job.
Billy P I remember the Pozzalanic trucks and I always thought they looked great in that dark blue and white color scheme.
Pioneer White heading up Mt Ousley

Aztec Mercedes Benz with a flat top trailer, painted dark blue . photo taken in Montague St N. Wollongong probably just after Aztec acquired Pozzalanic.

Photo by Warren Noakes. Pozzalanic Foden at the top of Mt Ousley.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

• BillyP
  • Topic Author
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #189455 by BillyP
.Dave & XP man.............yes, you are right.........
........I should have said BMG was involved in the rock delivery , along with others............
My brain is trying to find out about the Aztec / Pozzolanic / BMG bit.....how it evolved... etc etc...
........................Billy............................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by BillyP.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
6 years 4 months ago #189462 by Dave_64
Billy P apologies if I highjacked the thread, And slightly off topic, but seeing Pozzolonics Friendly Foden reminded me of pre BM&G when I think it was ABM, (Australian Blue Metal) also had a heap of Foden 8 wheelers, had relatively low sided, but rather long tipping bodies, obviously before too much emphasis was placed on overall lengths. Amused me because Foden also seemed to have really deep chassis rails at the time, tipper sides didn't seem all that much taller than the chassis themselves. Not sure just what the Foden model designation was, pretty sure they were all Gardner engined, some had the air cleaner hat sticking out of the front passenger side below the windscreen.

Time to create page: 0.467 seconds