Skip to main content

Sleeve valve engine

More
6 years 2 months ago #191345 by dieseldog
I spotted this at the local dump shop today. Does anyone know what make of engine it is and what it might have been fitted to?

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #191350 by invested energy
Replied by invested energy on topic Sleeve valve engine
Possibly a Willys Knight...

for when I'm not driving the car of the century...

More
6 years 2 months ago #191351 by invested energy
Replied by invested energy on topic Sleeve valve engine

for when I'm not driving the car of the century...

More
6 years 2 months ago #191353 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Sleeve valve engine
I doubt that American engines would have an aluminium (aluminum as they call it) crankcase. A friend of mine has several Minerva cars (made in Belgium) and could probably identify it.

Dieseldog, where are you, or where is it? PM me if you like.

Morris.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #191354 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Sleeve valve engine
Morris

Americans used aluminium widely in the early days for engines, bell housings and gearboxes. I don't think that would be a nationality indicator and the Knight engine was certainly a large selling product in Australia and elsewhere.

Here is the Willys Knight 6 cylinder with alloy crank case. The four cylinder was the same construction.

This looks more like the one in the wreck photo

Lang
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Morris

More
6 years 2 months ago #191357 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Sleeve valve engine
Yes ,Willys Knight.......quite common about 40 years ago,even the sixes wernt rare.When I worked at Repco one of the manager put a six cyl in for reco........a very expensive job....the liners are coated with babbit on the OD where they contatct the block,or the inner liner.The pistons run in the inner liner,and they had to be hardchromed and ground back to to size for the reground c/i pistons.All rings for the pistons and the head seal had to be made.When the motor was finished,it used massive ammounts of oil......had to put on a dyno and run in for something like 20 hrs......You would need to be a millionaire to get one reco,d now.

More
6 years 2 months ago #191360 by Lang

More
6 years 2 months ago #191363 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Sleeve valve engine
I saw a Sea Fury at an Archerfield air show mid 70's ???
Massive Bristol Centaurus sleeve valve radial swinging a very large 5-blade propellor, must have been Guido Zuccoli at the controls.
Don't know why the Beaufighter was called whispering death, that big old radial at Archerfield was noisy as.
A company also operated at least one Bristol Freighter out of Archerfield in the 70's too. They were Bristol Hercules powered and apparently a truly awful engine to squeeze big hands in and around. Brother-in-law worked on them.
I remember seeing one upside down on the opposite side of its hangar after a storm. Think that was the end of the Bristol.
The Commonwealth testing labourites also had a cut down Sea Fury in Sydney. Only the fuselage and landing gear, wings were gone. It was fixed to concrete and you'd get your windows tested there. They'd mount the windows in a frame behind the tail section and then the operators would start her up and measure wind speed. They could add water to check for leaks too. Apparently it used to be operated from the cockpit but they had some fire issues so they relocated the controls away a safe distance. Wonder if it's still there.

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
6 years 2 months ago #191373 by BillyP
Replied by BillyP on topic Sleeve valve engine
I remember as a kid watching planes at Schofields and Richmond airforce bases ...........
They used to fly over our farm at Parklea on training runs............
Mustangs. Occasional Spitfires and Beaufighters. then the Navy fighters and a heap of smaller trainers ........ The Beaufighters
were the only planes that would be overhead before you heard a thing.......Don't ask me why.........
Hense the name Whispering Death. With a fair amount of armory. could scoot along and (especially at low level flight) .could be on target
before anyone could hear them.......
All a bit different to standing along side one and have your eardrums blown away...........
.......................Billy.......................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
6 years 2 months ago #191403 by BillyP
Replied by BillyP on topic Sleeve valve engine
.Here is a couple of Willys donk pics.........From the Gaynder Museum

............................Billy.........................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.524 seconds