Limited Access Excavations.
Find me on Instagram, or search deankummer.com
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bparo, xspanrman

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Pete
2 years 8 months ago #224427 by Pete
Replied by Pete on topic Single person cab truck help
My old man drove trucks like these from the early to late 1980's delivering steel for J Murray Moore
in Wellington Road, Clayton(?) Victoria.
I knew them as Thru-Loaders (or Through-Loaders).

As I recall, they had an Allison Automatic, or semi automatic transmission, (the details elude me after almost 40 years) and I think (from the darkest recesses of my memory) that they were an Inter chassis and engines - but I stand to be corrected.
I worked at Moores as a storeman/loader/crane operator for a while - Dad 'got me the job' - and I got to jockey them around the yard and the warehouse for loading, and a couple of days out on the road when somebody called in sick.
Haven't seen anything like one on the road for YEARS, and I'd love to get some pics of Moore's units from that era if anyone has any.
Searched for pics without success may times on the internet.
Pete

More
2 years 8 months ago #224428 by JOHN.K.
Wally Carpenter built two from new Isuzus when I was working for the sandblasters ......basically ,they were a fully featured Isuzu cab ,but only one seat wide......I see one of them about quite often ,its with a taxi truck co now....probably a subbie ,but I dont know........There used to be two types,one with the cab at one side ,like a mobile crane,and one type with the cab in the middle of the chassis ,and load space either side of the cab......A guy I knew for years had one he made from an old AEC,he always used to say (he worked for BHP) if they knew how old it was ,they would put him off.....but he had it registered as being new when it was built around 1985.......people often did that with 4x4 busses ,to beat the 25 year rule.

More
2 years 8 months ago #224429 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Single person cab truck help
Also called island cabs or long toms. I don't think they're legal these days, having very little to prevent the load sliding off the front.

More
2 years 8 months ago #224430 by mammoth
Often known as Long Toms, and Bedford was the usual make. Don't think the VW combi would be a match in carrying capacity!

More
2 years 8 months ago #224436 by JOHN.K.
They are legal ,with engineering input and approval...Wallys two were fully featured Isuzu cabs,doors both sides ,just half width.......most wont go to the expense ,as a semi carries the same load ,total cost probably less than getting the engineering approvals.
The following user(s) said Thank You: V8Ian

More
2 years 8 months ago #224445 by daveus6
Old and modern steel carriers

Sterling

International

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, xspanrman

More
2 years 8 months ago #224447 by xspanrman
NMP's First Photo from Graham Inder whose father built this truck on a Bedford bus chassis.
2nd photo is an Austin.
3rd photo JJ Woods well known carriers from Sydney
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 8 months ago #224460 by xspanrman
Brighton Body Builders.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, PaulFH

More
2 years 8 months ago #224462 by jon_d
Replied by jon_d on topic Single person cab truck help
Wouldn't have to worry about the load moving forward in the Bedfords.

Time to create page: 0.501 seconds