Barnes Auto

More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #196225 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Barnes Auto

Here is the full story.
www.barnesautoco.com/about-us

Lang
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago #196226 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Barnes Auto
Thanks for clearing that up Lang. I had thought Anne Street but something didn't ring true, don't think Anne Street had trams? The Queen/Nth Quay photo really upset the thinking.
Had been in that odd garage back in the late 60's. You drove in off the street down to the rear turned and came back out again. Fuel pumps weren't out the front then (like in the photo), they were inside the premises.
Very busy with taxi traffic.

More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #196596 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Barnes Auto

Lang wrote: Queen and North Quay would have been the absolute prime position for any business in Brisbane way back.

Ian, Wharf and Queen run at right angles presume you mean in Adelaide Street on the south side up towards Wharf Street. I will see if I can find some photos of that location.

Lang

Lang, Queen and Adelaide run parallel but converge at the Valley end, where the Aussie Nash used to be.
The red circle is about where Barnes were.

Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by V8Ian.

More
5 years 6 months ago #196600 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Barnes Auto
I remember the place in Adelaide st....one night I took a car battery up there to get it charged....The top end of Queen St/North Quay was old buildings and semi industrial in the 60s......dont forget just down the road was the markets and the Roma St railway yard. There was several transport companies just down George St.The Police HQ was in Makerston St.,and some small manufacturers. in the area.....By the late 60s a lot of the area was empty bulidings after the markets moved to Rocklea.,and the railyard closed.

Time to create page: 0.439 seconds