Skip to main content

Discount Service

More
5 years 6 months ago #196415 by Lang
Discount Service was created by Lang
A friend just sent this to me. Amazing how current prices have stayed the same!

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, Gelignite

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago #196445 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Discount Service
I wonder how those prices compare with the average wage in North Dakota on 29 June 1928?

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #196446 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Discount Service
This gives it all. US Government report 1927

Drivers :(whether this was horse or truck is not clear but the coal industry, more than likely trucks, section shows drivers earning 60-70 cents an hour). Farm laborers wage is distorted because most received free food and accommodation.

There is a huge amount of interesting information but just scroll down until you find the wage comparison tables for hundreds of jobs in about 15 selected cities around the world plus USA.

It shows Australian wages in 1927 were comparable to or a little less than USA wages. Neither of these two countries was the highest in the world for many trades. These days computers can arrive at the real standard of living for every person and place and just because you get high wages does not mean you will live better if your taxes and commodity/housing/service prices are high. The lower wage person might live very much better in a cheap city/country.

babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=umn.31951...43e;view=1up;seq=130
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Lang.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
5 years 6 months ago #196447 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Discount Service
Lang
gudday m8

gr8 info if U read the info
Looks like this place we call Australia was named Tasmania
LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #196449 by Lang
Morris

From the 1927 charts

Car Repairers (national USA average) 41 cents an hour. This is one of the lowest paid of all the hundreds of recognised professions at the time. Particularly when talking Model T Ford, parts were so cheap and readily available mechanics then were largely parts changers, not repairers, much like today! They certainly were not at such a skill level they could demand higher wages. Much of the serious repair work would have been done by blacksmiths and engineers (fitters and turners or boiler-makers) and these blokes got 72 cents an hour.

The cheap work offered in the dealer's advertising card indicates parts changing type of work with the cheap staff.

Farm labourers are about the lowest and got 39 cents but it was plus free board and keep. Australian farm labourers got double the American wage but we fell well behind in other professions.

Lang
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Lang.

More
5 years 6 months ago #196451 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Discount Service
Henry Ford increased his workers wage to $5 a day in 1924?,so,he claimed ,they would have enough money to buy cars....His enemies claimed he did it to ruin them,so they must have been paying lower rates...But he was still paying $5 a day ten years later,during the depression.

More
5 years 6 months ago #196453 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Discount Service

Swishy wrote: Lang
gudday m8

gr8 info if U read the info
Looks like this place we call Australia was named Tasmania
LOL
cya

Always reckon'd we carry you bloody mainlanders .... ;) that just proves it :P :P :silly: :silly: :woohoo: :woohoo:

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
5 years 6 months ago #196463 by Lang
Yeah, they keep jumping from Australia, Sydney, Melbourne and Tasmania. I suppose it was whatever Australian statistics they found on the particular job when they Googled it.

Lang

Time to create page: 0.516 seconds