Skip to main content

austin loadstar, update and wheels search

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #196933 by ConnorM
so since i brought the Austin and had a few questions, I've been back to it. i have 5 wheels on truck, with five (one no tyre) at the tyre shop in town, he says they're too rusty to safely put back together and so i need new wheels.

anyway i had a go at putting along with the 5 old tyres to the farm which is about 35 kms via dirt road from the trucks old home, i got maybe 13 kms and the passenger tyre blew, this was the side with the single tyre, so bad times. it bounced like crazy and i didn't even realise for 400 meters, so the rotten tray boards and one of the rear wheel arches had been scattering all over the left of the road, so i walked back, tossed it all, including nails into the scrub and grabbed my mudguard.

after a lot of fluffing about and moving at 10 ks an hour to the next dead end road about 2 kms up the road i got the wheel off the drivers side, put it on the passenger and inflated the inner wheel on the drivers, now by this point my water pump is losing water worse than a sieve so its getting hot, made it another 1-2 kms to my friends cousins farm, where i pulled the water pump off, which i brought back for repairs, and that's where she sits

so first issue, wheels, stud pattern is 6 x 205, does anyone know where i should look for replacements, i got one quote for new ones at 750 per rim but apparently hes a rip off merchant so, I've asked about and i have to call the tyre shop from the next town because he apparently has a can do attitude regarding these things.

next issue is the radiator, somehow, some-why, there is a heap of newspaper in it, so i think i may find a temp radiator just jam it in and use that till i can get the original one cleaned and re cored?

all in all, a good fun time, despite
-the friendly brown snake that showed up and parked itself in a hole at the back of the truck.
-a blown sidewall
-30 degrees and flies
-no windscreens
-150 kms of driving to and from the farm multiple times for tools and reception
- one wheel stud spinning on me, i drilled a hole along the thread line and got it off with the rattle gun in the end
-the tray spraying itself along the road
-getting knee deep in a rotten tray board whilst keeping an eye on the snake and not where i was walking.

one photo of me driving to the farm
one of the truck with the tyre blown, the brown snake was right at the back of the truck in that photo

bonus two photos of austins at Tailem town

Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by ConnorM. Reason: spelling, photo was sideways

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago #196934 by Dave_64
ConnorM
Sent you a P/M,
Dave_64

More
5 years 4 months ago #196937 by IHScout
I reckon some tyre shops can be a bit too choosy about what wheels they'll put a tyre on. I'd suggest cleaning you wheels up with a wire brush, sparing them with some cheap enamel and taking them to another tyre shop and seeing whether they'll fit some tyres to them.

Dennis

More
5 years 4 months ago #196945 by JOHN.K.
Dunno if it was you or someone else with an Austin,but I mentioned that the wheels were very rare.......mainly because its the only 20 " wheel/ six stud,most of the other 2 ton trucks had 16" wheels with that pattern......................now there are a couple of easy cures......first ,get some Inter wheels,drill the hole pattern,and weld up the Inter pattern holes.......second easy cure is to flame spall the rust,and then replace the missing metal with weld,grind to size................I suspect that the lock ring outer ledge is gone,being most exposed to weather......weld up,and grind to shape..................and why a tire shop at all?.....cant you fit the tyres yourself?

More
5 years 4 months ago #196957 by ConnorM
cheers bud, ill have a crack, i dont think theyre in danger of peeling away and collapsing, dunno though

More
5 years 4 months ago #196958 by ConnorM
john , that makes a lot of sense, im glad to know someone has some good solutions though,
im going to try wire wheeling and a different tyre shop, like IHScout suggested

could you elaborate on what flame spelling is? or is it just torching the rim where ill be welding to flake off rust?

i didn't really spend a lot of time looking because i listened to the tyre guy but possibly, i can try that, how smooth are we talking to be acceptable for the tyres?

i haven't ever had a go at truck tyres, i have however seen videos of guys being blown across the room by them, so i figure ill steer clear in case i have a bad day

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #196961 by Eddy
20 inch rims with that stud pattern are like rockin horse shit. Took me 6 years to find the two i needed for a full set. 750 for new ones sounds about right, I was quoted 800 - 1100
Gotta get away from this idea of "rip off" when talking about parts and equipment for such old vehicles. most truck wheels are in the 1 - 2 k price range.
Dave 64 possibly has some suitable 16s ...

Be it firearms or V8 engines, the question is not "why should you have them?"
, but "who are you to demand that I justify them?"
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by Eddy.

More
5 years 4 months ago #196962 by Eddy
Go to google maps, 233 devlins pound road .. street view :whistle:

Be it firearms or V8 engines, the question is not "why should you have them?"
, but "who are you to demand that I justify them?"

More
5 years 4 months ago #196965 by ConnorM
i can only guess that white truck is an austin? the area around the grill looks more fordlike to me though.

Eddy wrote: Go to google maps, 233 devlins pound road .. street view :whistle:

More
5 years 4 months ago #196966 by ConnorM

Eddy wrote: 20 inch rims with that stud pattern are like rockin horse shit. Took me 6 years to find the two i needed for a full set. 750 for new ones sounds about right, I was quoted 800 - 1100
Gotta get away from this idea of "rip off" when talking about parts and equipment for such old vehicles. most truck wheels are in the 1 - 2 k price range.
Dave 64 possibly has some suitable 16s ...

unfrtunately i have 2 months not 6 years then im full time and wont be able to work on it,
a steel rim should not logically cost that much anymore, there is technology availiable that makes it just as easy to form a 20" rim as a 14".

the 16s dave has sound good but i have 4 tyres already at the shop so id have to stuff the guy about with them.

Time to create page: 0.532 seconds