Skip to main content

Morris Semi

More
4 years 11 months ago #199653 by Lang
Morris Semi was created by Lang
Morris Carrymore

This would have to be one of the earlier bogey drive semi trailers.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: craig308, Morris, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #199684 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Morris Semi
Morris Commercial D Type Six Wheeler. I have not seen that photo before. It is in British Army livery, apparently on trials with the Army, probably in 1926, and must be a Morris purpose-built trailer, as it has the matching 23 inch disc wheels. I still want more of those wheels!

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
4 years 11 months ago #199704 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Morris Semi
Those wheels can be made. They are used on forklifts and heavy off road trailers. A company in Sydney last traded as Advance Wheels used to make them for us to then press on the 36" ID tyres. Steel bands were rolled up to being just oversize and then machined down to size of 36" OD. For each inch in diameter the steel band inside the tyre is 0.05" undersize to ensure a good tight fit. New tyres are used to push off the old ones when the lot is standing on another tube well undersize of the tyre ID.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Morris

More
4 years 11 months ago #199729 by Morris
Many thanks, Cobbadog.
Is Advance Wheels still in business? You say they last traded. Do they have a new name?

The process you describe sounds like solid rubber tyres press fitted to the wheel. Mine have straight sided pneumatic tyres with a locking ring. But I can ask if they can be made, or maybe they can cut rims off old Sankey-type cast steel spoked wheels and weld them to the disc.
I have collected several Sankeys of the correct size, "just in case."

I'm gritting my teeth,

More
4 years 11 months ago #199734 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Morris Semi
Are the drive wheels pneumatic?......look somewhat different to the fronts,and there also seem to be chains on the wheels..........I think the drive may be solid ........and the trailer.

More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #199735 by wouldyou
Replied by wouldyou on topic Morris Semi
Hello Morris,
I fitted new rims to my '29 Nash disc centres, they were made by these people and were an exact copy of the rim sample provided. At the time they could not make the lock rings, The car tyres were 4.50x20, I used lock rings from a 3 ton Austin truck and cut down the outer edge to match.
The rim was originally riveted to the disc centre, the new ones were set up in the lathe and tack welded initially, following completion of weld back in the lathe to true the hub mating area.
With your rims and discs it can be done, however the professional wheel people have to be careful what they do.
David.

Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by wouldyou.

More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #199741 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Morris Semi
I left Sydney in 1988. and never looked back into the industry I was in at that time. The Company that owned Advance wheels was Bearcat international and they have since been sold and may be trading only as Bearcat and were out in the western suburbs last time I looked. If you Google them or look in the yellow pages for forklift tyre suppliers they would be pretty much the biggest mob now. They did have a steady supply of 2 piece 20" rims but width would be the problem and all rims were imported at the time I was there. They also would make the dual dish naive plates and flat naive plates, set them up to the correct offset for the job and then put them on a rotating table and set off the MIG and wait for it to do a single rotation, then turned over and done again. I have no idea of what the rules and regulations are now for road using vehicles as all of these ones we did were for forklifts and mining equipment. At one stage they were doing super single truck rims imported from Michelin in France which were slightly oval but then found a German supplier and they were always perfectly round. Load Arm at Kurnell supplied the solid square profiled metal ring to be welded in place then machined to suit the taper of the hub.
I think that cutting a rim and welding it back together may no longer be a thing anyone would do due to safety but unless you ask and check the info you never know.
Yes the wheels I was describing were for solid rubber tyres which are bonded to a steel band then an interference fit over a hub. I too thought that the wheels and tyres in the first image were this type of tyre. Sorry if I misled you.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by cobbadog.

More
4 years 11 months ago #199753 by Morris
Cobbadog,
Many thanks for the extra info. It was a road going vehicle in the 1920's and even when I bought the remains in 1980, it would have been OK on the road with good warning signs and lights at the back but now, with a cruising speed of 28 Miles per hour (41.6KPH) it is not likely to hit the open road again. I have to resign myself to it being a museum piece.

Wouldyou,
Yes it was done not so many years ago and your advice to ask and see what answer you get is probably the way to go.

Johnk,
The front wheels look different only because they are single wheels fitted with the convex to the outside while the duals on the drive and on the trailer had the inner with the convex to the outside and the outer with the concave to the outside, as modern dual disc wheels are. They may have overall tracks, which were an option with the Morris but my eyesight is no longer good enough to see them in the photo.

I'm gritting my teeth,

More
4 years 11 months ago #199756 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Morris Semi
Morris,I was just judging by the tire height ............but as you say ,its probably all pneumatic.

Time to create page: 0.658 seconds