Skip to main content

Rockwell axles. Help needed on specifications please!

More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #200377 by kw573
Hi,
I am trying to get a 1940s wrecker registered in Queensland on club rego.
Problem is that it is LHD and well over 4.5 ton.
So the NHVR is asking for lots of info, much of which I doubt still exists.
However, the axle load ratings might be still out there somewhere.
Can anyone point me to a list of Rockwell axle load ratings that includes the f-2090 axle and SFD-154 axle please?
Also, I need the same for 'New-way' tandem suspensions in the same era. What is the chance it is still available?
Has anyone registered a LHD heavy vehicle anywhere in Australia recently? How did the 'Vehicle Standards Exemption' permit application go?
Help needed.

WW2 Jeep (Daily Driver)
Diamond T 969 (Under restoration)
Kenworth 573 (Yard truck)
WW2 Water trailer
WW2 Blitz 3 ton GS dog trailer
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by hayseed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
4 years 11 months ago #200378 by Swishy
m80
as google as your friend tap in model # etc n put pdf @ end

[img

Clikity ...................... ClikClikClik

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
4 years 11 months ago #200380 by hayseed

kw573 wrote: Hi,

Has anyone registered a LHD heavy vehicle anywhere in Australia recently?
Help needed.

Forum member "Lang" will be able to help you, I would think..
If he hasn't chimed in here, in the next day or so? Send him a PM... (channel 40 up the top of the page)

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
4 years 11 months ago #200382 by kw573
Thanks Swishy and Hayseed,
I'll try that.
I know Lang, should have called him earlier.
Lang, you'll get a call from me sometime.
Thanks.
Sam.

WW2 Jeep (Daily Driver)
WW2 Water trailer

More
4 years 11 months ago #200387 by kw573
Hmmmm,
I'm not getting very far here.
Lang is O/S, I have emailed him.

Clickity clickity click searches have failed to turn up the information I'm seeking. All the documents seem to treat my axles as too early to be listed. But I am learning a little bit. Such as in the model number SFD 154, the S means tandem axle and the model SFDD is an SFD with an inter axle diff(power divider). Otherwise, I've failed to find anything that works for this model number. Even found a SFD173. Dunno what that means. The 'how to ID. . . ' charts explain very different types of codes eg., the second letter is the ratio but no 'F" option is listed, etc, etc.
HELP! :unsure: Who can shed some light on the load ratings of these axles, please. The NHVR is asking for them.
A frustrated. . . . ,
Sam.

WW2 Jeep (Daily Driver)
WW2 Water trailer

More
4 years 11 months ago #200391 by JOHN.K.
The axles arent Rockwell,they are Timken Detroit and Wisconsin Axle............I think you are going about it the wrong way.........all the federal compliance stuff isnt needed..........just get a roadworthy/safety certificate,and register it as a special interest vehicle in excess of 4.5tonne.............you will need to be a member of the Jeep Club of Qld to get a LHD registered................my advice is to join the jeep club,and get the necessary info from them....................as a further rider,Langs info on usage of a sivs rego in Qld ,isnt right .......you may get away with it,or not .........There is a recent email from the Transport Dept on the very onerous requirements for a "one vehicle "rally in Qld......................further more,I reckon Qld sivs rego is a ripoff compared to Vic and NSW........and I for one will not be donating $250+ p/a to them for nothing .

More
4 years 11 months ago #200401 by Mrsmackpaul
As John has already said the ass end is Timken, Rockwell took over Timken in the 50's I reckon
A lot of parts are reported as been interchangeable but as with most things there's a lot more fiction than fact most times
As for your rego I think you may be way over thinking this
Get a machinery certificate turn up with it to register and see what happens

A lot will depend on who you see on the day

I would not provide any details at all to the person doing the roadworthy, I would just book it in like any other truck with no paper work at all and no numbers nothing, let the roadworthy people sort that out

Then drive it over the weighbridge if it hasn't been registered for many years and just go and get it registered

Gotta remember there are plenty of LHD crane trucks and rubbish trucks running around QLD

So it can be done without to much drama

I haven't even taken a vehicle in when I register them for years as no one even wants to check numbers

Dont worry about gross weights or any of that stuff QLD rego never required them on heavy trucks until some time in the 70's and anything predating that shouldn't have weights recorded

Thats my 2 bobs worth

Dont over think it and ask any questions at all, I just sit there like a stale bottle of grog and wait to pay and when they ask questions that might make things a bit tricky I just answer "dunno"

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
4 years 11 months ago #200406 by JOHN.K.
The army trucks all had the SFD series diffs,with the W series brakes with 17 1/4" drums,except the 10 ton wreckers that had a slightly modified 6 ton axle with the T series brakes.......which are the earlier version of the current brakes. with 16 1/2 " drums.

More
4 years 11 months ago #200407 by hayseed

kw573 wrote: Who can shed some light on the load ratings of these axles, please.

The NHVR is asking for them.

Why are the NHVR involved....??

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #200442 by kw573
Well Gentlemen,

Thank you for the comments and suggestions.

I am learning a lot. I didn't know Rockwell took over Timken in the 1950s. The transport axles business was bought out by the Indians in the last decade or so and moved to the sub-continent as American Axle Ltd. When I contacted Timken, they did not recognize the axle numbers.
I did print a document from Canada that listed 'Out of Production Axles' and it included the SFDD series. The SFDD is, it seems, and SFD with a power divider/inter-axle diff. The SFDD tandem assembly is rated at a whooping 63000lbs = 29tons!!!!

To backtrack a bit . . . "why is the NHVR involved?" Good question and not the first time I've been asked. I'm told that they aren't in NSW or WA. The only reason is that a document I printed from TMR (Qld), titled 'Special interest vehicle concession guide' states that LHD heavy vehicles need a LHD Permit from NHVR, no other reason.

BUT,
- NHVR don't do LHD Permits, they do Vehicle Standards Exemptions (one size fits all application), and
- the TMR document on National Heavy vehicle registration cites 4 categories of vehicles that are exempt, Special Interest Vehicles being one of them. Only found that document this week.

And you are correct, there are plenty of LHD trucks around. I know of 3 LHD Studebaker 6x6 trucks that have been registered in the last 18 months, 2 in NSW, no problems, and one in SA. The SA one got tangled up with the NHVR and it took the federal minister for transport to get it through!

So, I am currently getting together the documents I otherwise need and plan to rock up and drop it all on their counter, in your suggested ignorance. Thanks for the encouragement, Paul.

I think I have everything, safety inspection, Mod plate, dimensions certificate, club membership, dating certificate, CTP, weighbridge docket, . . .

John,
I'm impressed with your detail of knowledge. I remember that the front brakes are 17 1/4" x 4". I don't know about the other specifications you noted. I also have the 10ton trucks (a.k.a. WLF/KW Heavy Wrecker). Could I find a copy of a catalogue/specs sheet or something that I can study up on this stuff? It ain't gunna go away in my life any time soon!

As, supposedly, many parts are interchangeable, I'd like to find an SFDD leading diff to see if I could fit it and so score a power divider. No more inter-axle wind-up. Also, I was pleased to see a variety of ratios available, something to chase up in the future.
Being 6x6, I'd need matching ratios for the front F2090 Rockwell/Timken axle. Anyone know about that?

If you see my truck at a rally, come and say hello.

Thanks again and I'll let you know what happens.

Sam.

WW2 Jeep (Daily Driver)
WW2 Water trailer
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by kw573. Reason: spelling

Time to create page: 0.516 seconds