Skip to main content

Commer Knocker truck

More
4 years 10 months ago #200804 by NKlose
Commer Knocker truck was created by NKlose
Hi I'm posting in behalf of my husband. He has a Commer Knocker truck and still used on the farm. In the rego it says 1958 but we could not find in the internet any 1958 ones that is the same as his. The closest we were able to find is a 1957 that look the same. Just wondering if someone could help him with this and if how much it is worth? Thank you.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #200805 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Commer Knocker truck
NK, you will at least need to post some photos showing inside and out and of the engine and where you are, then the people on here will stand some sort of chance of giving you an idea of exactly which model it is and and a very general idea of its value. Often the value is given as "the price another person is willing to pay". Which is of course often a long way from the price a person is willing to sell it for.

good luck

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
4 years 10 months ago #200816 by NKlose
Replied by NKlose on topic Commer Knocker truck
Hi sarge. Thank you for your reply. I attached and insert the photo when i submit my first post and apparently it did not upload hopefully this time it will. We are from Mannum S.A. I will take photos of the engine tommorow. My husband said it is a Commer Knocker 2 stroke super charged diesel 3 cylinder and 6 pistons.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bparo, cobbadog

More
4 years 10 months ago #200819 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Commer Knocker truck
If your photos dont upload it is generally because they have to many pixels, people email the picture to themselves and this reduces the picture size to one that can be uploaded

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
4 years 10 months ago #200821 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Commer Knocker truck
The Commer "knocker", called by the factory TS3, for the Tilling Stevens series 3 motor, is a desirable truck, as is the TK Bedford we can see the front of in one of your photos.

The following is not intended to insult you or to denigrate the Commer but just to explain some of the costs involved in taking a running but unrestored vehicle to one that can be registered and be reliable on the road.

As to value, the seller often hears a report of a fully restored, vaguely similar vehicle selling for a fortune (sometimes it is true) and assumes their completely non restored item is worth the same amount.
The buyer looks at costs to get it restored and on the road. This can include tyres at around $500 each, panel beating and rust removal. ( I know of a truck in South Australia whose owner paid a friend of mine $5000 just to have the cab repaired and painted), re-wiring, possibly new lights all round, restoration of the braking system, including master cylinder, booster, wheel cylinders and shoes, brake lines, possibly an air or vacuum tank. (I was quoted $2000 to restore the brake booster of one of my Morris trucks) as well as reconditioning of motor, transmission and rear axle(s), radiator, (yesterday I received an email from a man who has been quoted $3000 to supply a new radiator core and repair an aluminium radiator tank on a Morris truck) etc.

A mate of mine in Victoria is talking about buying a Commer TS3, he has a motor restored and running, mounted on a stand in his workshop, I will tell him about yours.

Regards,
Morris.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
4 years 10 months ago #200824 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Commer Knocker truck

WotSezU?

:lol: ;) :lol:

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Medicated Mick, cobbadog

More
4 years 10 months ago #200844 by injector jack
Replied by injector jack on topic Commer Knocker truck
Commer SUR 733 Rootes Diesel 105 hp TS3 motor, 4 speed gearbox, No4 eaton 2 speed diff, 9.00x20 tyres, 14ft by 7ft 6in dropside tipper with 9in Gwell under body hoist. Converted to air over hydraulic brakes, fitted with Robley cushion springs and custom made front bumper bar. Purchased from Tom Slattery at Snowtown in 1975, sold in 1993, a decision that I have regretted many times, replaced by ACCO 1950A

More
4 years 10 months ago #200845 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Commer Knocker truck
The truck in the OPs picture.........bubble cab,split windscreen.......a local dealer had a very similar truck ,painted in house paint with a large brush for $7000 ,and seemed to sell......a lot of people ask about knockers....as some may know ,Ive got a v8 petrol Commer,and quite a few come in to ask if its a knocker.

More
4 years 10 months ago #200848 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Commer Knocker truck
V8 petrol Commer? is it a re-power?

I thought they either had the knocker or a 6 cylinder Humber Super Snipe petrol. :blink:

I am still kicking myself because I did not buy a Karrier (Rootes Group, same as Commer, Humber and many others) in very good condition with very straight sheetmetal, same look as early Commer but maybe a little smaller? that I saw sell at a clearing sale a year ago for $750. It was driven in on the morning of the sale.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #200850 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Commer Knocker truck
Had a Dodge badge,but the kids pinched that....so now its a commer ,to all intents...was a good truck ,when petrol was 10c a liter.....there was a bit of a craze for the little bubble cabs,when that bread ad was on telly,but lots do ask about knockers............a mate of mine had a late 150hp knocker ,pulled the motor to bits...never went back together.......they are not a motor for beginners.......you need about 20 special tools to work on them.
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by JOHN.K..

Time to create page: 0.505 seconds