Skip to main content

International AB160 Engine ID

More
4 years 9 months ago #201313 by AgeZap
Hello,

I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I have just acquired an International AB160 and I'm after some more information on it, it seems like this forum has a lot of knowledgeable people on it.

After doing some searching I've found that most AB160's came with a 6cylinder 282.

Looking at my engine numbers and any other numbers which are all located on the passenger side of the engine read....
6-281-13093
To me this means it's a 6cylinder 281ci and the 13093 would idbicate the block number. Is this correct? If so is this the correct engine for the AB160? I thought the 281 was out of an older model?

There is also a small plate screwed on the side of the block closer to the front that reads
24-7-P
What does this mean?

Also it has another row of numbers on the block closer to the rear that read
858460R (1)?
Note* note sure if it's a 1 or part of the casting.

There is also a 22 in the cast on the right of the IH logo. What does this mean?

Also the numbers on the firewall do not match any of the engine numbers.

Currently does not have doors on it and smaller parts have been taken off it for other 160's.

Did the 160 come out with a V8? Or jist the 180. Is there a link to this info?

Thanks for the help.
Adrian

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #201314 by AgeZap
Attachments:

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #201318 by asw120
A 6-281 is actually a later engine and would be an equivalent replacement. They are actually all 282 cubic inches. (about 4.6 L)
From some time in the next model (C series - 1966 - 1972) the 6-281 became standard fitment in even the lightest models.

Differences were carby, manifolds, alternator (instead of genny) and front pulleys plus sundry other bits. All of the earlier bits will go on and look original.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by asw120.

More
4 years 9 months ago #201320 by 180wannabe
Hello AgeZap and welcome.

It appears you have an AB164.

I think the way you have read the engine number is correct, however i think your truck would have originally had an AGD (Australian Gold Diamond) 264 engine. The 6-281 is from a later model, possibly C or D Line, maybe a C1600, but i just can't place the part number of your block to know for sure.

The V8 was only available in the AB184.

You should find the chassis number of your truck stamped on the outer face of the LHS chassis rail, somewhere between the bumper bar and front spring hanger. I think it should have AB164, then a number underneath. It would be interesting to see if the number on your firewall relates to the chassis number.

An AB-Line parts book will be a valuable source of information for you, originals come up on ebay from time to time.

Cheers, Brett.

More
4 years 9 months ago #201330 by Morris
Hello Agerzap,
Welcome to the forum. Plenty of Infernal, sorry I mean International, enthusiasts here. I could become a lover of them myself. Last year I and a mate drove his D1510 from country Victoria up through Melbourne to Queensland and back on a "Tin mining" (collecting vintage vehicles) trip.

I see a few Inter owners have given you info already.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
4 years 9 months ago #201344 by AgeZap
Thanks for the Excellent information. Good to hear it's a later engine. Did the 281 ans 282 have the same gear box? I can see an id tag on the box and will have a closer look at A later date.

I have located the Chassis number as Brett mentioned, it seems to only say:
AB
Which unfortunately does not match the fire wall. Does this make any more sense Brett?

I am interested in more info on the AB164 if anyone has any? Could this been one even though the badge says AB160?

I would love to get it running, some small parts like fuel line from pump to carb are missing, park break assembly on gearbox removed, also an issue with started motor. It was running prior to being parked and I'm sure the starter has failed since.

Thanks for the great feed back.
Adrian
Attachments:

More
4 years 9 months ago #201347 by 180wannabe
Hi Adrian,
Sorry for the wrong info regarding the chassis number, i thought the model was also included on the chassis, it is on the later models. I just went and had a look at my AB162 chassis by torch light and it only says AB 3549 (the model isn't mentioned). I forgot to look for a number on the firewall, sorry.

Regarding gearboxes, the 6-281 and 6-282 could have used the same gearbox, but it would be determined by the vehicle the engine was used in. This would also determine the flywheel, clutch, and bell housing used. Your truck should have a 4 speed gearbox and a 2 speed diff. AB 182 used a 5 speed gearbox and 2 speed diff, and the AB184 used a heavier 5 speed gearbox and 2 speed diff.

The 164 is a heavier rated truck than a 162, hence the 6 stud wheels on yours rather than 5 studs on a 162. The badge says "160 series" which covers that size range. There are 6 models in the 160 range, 3 petrol and 3 diesel, AB160 has a single speed diff, 162 has a 2 speed diff, 164 has a 2 speed diff and is heavier rated. ABD preceeding any model denotes diesel powered, eg: AB 164 is petrol powered / ABD 164 is diesel powered.

Hope this info is useful. Brett.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
4 years 9 months ago #201348 by AgeZap
Very helpful. Seems like you have spent A lot of time with them haha it's good.

Any idea what year it would be then?
Also what is it rated to? I was under the impression it was 5T but it could be more?
I haven't even checked out how many miles it's done.

More
4 years 9 months ago #201356 by JOHN.K.
Those were the days when if a farmer wanted to carry six ton,he bought a 4 ton truck......being the minimum farm rego spec............my old man had a AB164 with a lazy axle(home fitted) and used to carry the early containers up to around 15 ton gross......One time he broke the Eaton housing,and had to lean the truck up against a light pole to stop it tipping over...........the 264 was the best of the small IH sixes,the 281s often break the top ring in all the pistons.

More
4 years 9 months ago #201369 by asw120
It's a shame about the doors, as the tags with all the info are on the back edge of the left one. From memory the body number on the firewall doesn't match the chassis number. (At least not on any truck I've looked at).
Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

Time to create page: 0.549 seconds