Skip to main content

C1600 tailshaft

More
4 years 9 months ago #201553 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic C1600 tailshaft
The 4x4 has the front mount raised about 1- 1/2",IIRC.....but Im pretty sure a standard hose fits......Might need to raise the rad one hole.....dont remember..........but Im pretty sure a standard hose fits.........Ive got a container full of old IH stock,but no use of using old rubber,its likley to split..........Dont forget to replace the little 1" elbow ,and cut off the dash heater hoses too........Dont get your feet burnt with busted heater hoses.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #201567 by Southbound
Replied by Southbound on topic C1600 tailshaft
.Ive got a container full of old IH stock,

G'day John, do you have any early parts for sale? 1934 c1 or HD213 parts?

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.

More
4 years 9 months ago #201573 by projectinter
Replied by projectinter on topic C1600 tailshaft
I’ll order some from Wagga tractor parts. Looked at the hoses today and they do look the same.
Also, I believe the fuel pump is original. I’ll be replacing straight away.
I can’t find a listing for a mechanical fuel pump?
I’ve been looking at the Carter electric ones. Has anyone installed? Only problem I can see is it would be hard to mount the pump low enough for gravity feed.

More
4 years 9 months ago #201579 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic C1600 tailshaft
The low pressure Carter will lift the fuel to a reasonable height (a foot or two) to prime itself. So bolting it to the side of a chassis rail would be OK.

I've used them before but find them very noisy.

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #201580 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic C1600 tailshaft
I have put one of those $15-20 electric pumps on just about every vehicle I have owned for 20 years. Never had a moment problem. If you have a mechanical lift as well, the electric pump will just run the fuel through it without a problem. They come with all the hose fittings.

My Perkins Commer does not have a mechanical lift pump and relies solely on the little Supercheap job. Once again, never had a problem and fantastic for bleeding after new filters or whatever. If you carry a spare (as I said, never needed one) and have the pump mounted in an easy place on the chassis it will take 5 minutes to fit the new one in the unlikely case of failure. They rattle when initially priming but when pressure builds up they remain silent for the rest of the time.

As Zuffen says, they are good lifters and you can put them on the rail well above the tank without issues, even initial dry prime to the pump.

Lang
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #201586 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic C1600 tailshaft
There a bit like the SU electric pump on a Morris Z......if you can hear the pump ticking rapidly,you are out of fuel.............All the later Jap/Asian diesel utes dont have any kind of a lift pump,and rely on the injector pump to suck fuel thru filters ........these are a nightmare to reprime if something goes wrong ,or you get dirty fuel in the middle of nowhere....An electric pump in the system,even if it doesnt go all the time, means you can add a primary fuel filter too,and save the expensive original one...............Southbound...everything new IH is for the army trucks ,and 6-281/2/3 motors,and a bit of AB and Cline cab stuff......and no,I sold all the quarter windows as a job lot years ago.
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by JOHN.K..
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
4 years 9 months ago #201600 by projectinter
Replied by projectinter on topic C1600 tailshaft
Picked up fuel pump today.
Did you wire it through a safety cut out or just the ignition?

More
4 years 9 months ago #201601 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic C1600 tailshaft
I think most people just wire through the ignition but always a good idea to spend an extra $5 and put in an in-line fuse for added safety.

More
4 years 9 months ago #201602 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic C1600 tailshaft
Wired through the ignition and as suggested use an inline fuse and carry some spares just in case. Once done properly you shouldn't have an issue with it but that 'Murphies Law' comes into play at times.
I try to solder my wire joints and use shrink wrap all the time trying to do it right but sometimes you just get kicked in the arse and you have to fix it again. When I see someone join some wires by twisting them together and wrapping it with tape I shudder. But they don't seem to have issues, MONGRELS!

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
4 years 9 months ago #201608 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic C1600 tailshaft
When running an electric fuel pump I control it with a Tachometric rely.

This turns on to get up fuel pressure when you turn the key. It turns off the power after a few seconds.

Once the engine cranks it starts the pump and will keep it running as long as the engine runs.

The relay takes a pulse off the coil (like a tachometer would) and ensures the fuel pump shuts down if the engine stops for any reason.

A good safety feature in the event of a ruptured fuel line in an accident or just a fuel line failure.

The relays are used in gas installations and are quite cheap.

I have a spare I'm happy to post to you if you would like to Channel 40 me you details.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

Time to create page: 0.562 seconds