Skip to main content

C1600 tailshaft

More
4 years 9 months ago #201636 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic C1600 tailshaft
Just reading views on an additional 12 v electric fuel pump, suppose that at between $15-20, couldn’t go too far wrong. I was thinking of installing one on the Karrier with the 2.5l R/Rover diesel between where the main suction line comes out of the top of the tank, about a meter of fuel line to where it hooks up to the lift pump before going through the filter. Just wondering if the added pump has a failure, would that then restrict the suction side of the mechanical lift pump?? Dave

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #201641 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic C1600 tailshaft
Depends a bit on what you want the pump for.
As a primer?
Install it in parallel with a couple of large check valves, will pump fuel as needed and if it quits the fuel will still draw through the check valve in the main line.
Cheers Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
4 years 9 months ago #201645 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic C1600 tailshaft
On my old Morris I have the super unreliable SU pump on the firewall where it belongs. in addition, I have a modern electronic pump fitted down near the tank, hooked up in series. The power wire has been run up to where the SU is connected, so when the SU fails, it's just a matter of lifting the bonnet and swapping the wires over. The SU drags the fuel through the rear pump no worries and vice versa.

A lot simpler and safer than trying to fix a dead SU on the side of the road in traffic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Dave_64

More
4 years 9 months ago #201646 by Dave_64
Steve,
Thought it would do as a primer, don't know just how efficient the mechanical fuel pump is, wind the engine over just enough to engage the cam, still only enough travel to bleed at the top of the filter housing.
Seems that if you leave it for a couple of weeks, still has to be bled at the filter. So, obviously drawing air somewhere along the supply line, may have to follow the supply line along and try and isolate the leak.
Thanks, Dave

More
4 years 9 months ago #201649 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic C1600 tailshaft
I haven't had very much to do with the old SU pump but on my minis it was one things I never had to touch. I must have been a lucky sucker.

Yeah I would be looking for an air leak along the lines too, it should not drain back, which also might be a good thing to put a one way valve in the system.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
4 years 9 months ago #201650 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic C1600 tailshaft
Dave, if it is bleeding back, I would look at the valves in the mechanical pump. They should not allow the fuel to return.

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #201690 by projectinter
Replied by projectinter on topic C1600 tailshaft
Going to buy a Peel relay as Zuffen suggested to wire it.

Does anyone know if the Australian Army used C1600 4x4’s? We were always under the impression that the truck was ex army. I have never seen any old photos or anything to suggest the army used them.
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by projectinter.

More
4 years 9 months ago #201695 by PaulFH
Replied by PaulFH on topic C1600 tailshaft
AB 160 4x4 about 1970, referred to as the "teaspoon tipper.
Very small body, about 2 yards. May have had C1600's as well.
Few in the RAAF and RAN too, small numbers compared to
the Mark 3 and Mark 5 AACO. Paul.

More
4 years 9 months ago #201719 by PaulFH
Replied by PaulFH on topic C1600 tailshaft
Forgot to add, looked like one of these used in Crocodile Dundee.
Bit customised. Paul.

More
4 years 9 months ago #201726 by Dave_64
Apologies for going away from original subject, we somehow meandered into another area Found two possible leaks in system, one the bleed screw on top of the filter housing had an oversized fibre washer, book says should be a copper one, where the flexible fuel line hooks onto the rigid steel line coming out of the lift pump, hose only slid over pipe secured with a worm type clamp. Going into town tomorrow, will see if I can get a one-way non return valve and fittings, secure it with a compression fitting and olive directly to the steel line. Other end I’ll see if I can get a sect no leak fitting barb and tail to go on flexible line. Don’t fix it, will chuck on an el cheapo electric 12 volt pump! Dave

Time to create page: 0.584 seconds