Skip to main content

Arthur Gillot Transport

More
4 years 7 months ago #202639 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Arthur Gillot Transport
In post # 202618 last pic, ///i love the period correct must have accessory, the water bag. It bought back fond memories of Pa with one on the front of his cars every time we leaft for the 8 plus hour drive Sydney to Harrington each year. I think he was hesitant to share the water for us to drink but rather for the radiator.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fred in Geelong

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #202652 by BillyP
Replied by BillyP on topic Arthur Gillot Transport
.Many moons ago when I was at Cummins Lansvale, Gillots were doing an in chassis overhaul on a 220 in an ERF. Spares had sold them
a set of NRTO pistons instead of the 220 ones , with the corresponding low power, hard starting etc etc. When it was discovered what had
happened, Cummins supplied another set of correct pistons plus a serviceman to fit them.
So away I went to do the job one Saturday morning.
With me in the cab and a Gillots bloke underneath we had the job finished in a bit over 8 hours . We both got some sort of citation for our effort,
but nothing in the way of dollars of corse ………………..
…………………….Billy...………………….

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by BillyP.

More
4 years 7 months ago #202654 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Arthur Gillot Transport
Cobbadog,

8 hours to Harrington, now it's 8 Hours to Coolangatta.

How times have changed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
4 years 7 months ago #202657 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Arthur Gillot Transport
In post # 202620 there is a shot of truck #1 with a Fordson Major tractor and ACE overhead loader. I had the misfortune of operating one of these for Jack Fortesque, digging sand out of the dunes at Nambucca Heads in the late '60s, to use in his ready-mix business. (Remember when you could do that?) The loader was operated by a cable at the rear of the tractor, running up and over the cab. You engaged the winch to raise the bucket and when it got to about the vertical, you released the clutch on the winch to let the arms go over-centre, then grab it again before it hit the stops.

Until you mastered these horrible machines, you either managed to stop the loader arms early and dropped the bucket full of sand over the cab, or left it too late and the bucket arms would slam into the stops at the rear of the canopy, nearly lifting the front wheels off the ground. It was quicker than loading with a shovel I guess.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fred in Geelong

More
4 years 7 months ago #202665 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Arthur Gillot Transport
A couple of years ago Taree Sand and Gravel was sold and they always did and still do take the sand from the dunes on Crowdy Rd. It was the best thing ever, the small parcel of land to remove the sand from gets the north eat winds blow fresh sand into the holes they dug out the day before. Self replenishing at times.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Time to create page: 0.496 seconds